A few questions about Shaw

AMike

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Metro Atlanta
I had Shaw service in metro Atlanta, but cancelled it due to a dish that was damaged and didn't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling at that time. I am now thinking about resubscribing, but have a few questions that I hope can be answered here.

1. Can I use my old equipment to resubscribe that is if I go through my same broker?

2. What would be my best dish options? I presume I would be out of the range of the new satellite.

Hi Mike: how long ago was your service? You will not receive signal from the new satellite (G1 at 107) in Atlanta. You may have some difficulty resubscribing right away if you have the old LNBF as all new subs need the new one. As far as using a broker, there are ways to subscribe yourself without a broker. just look though some of the threads on our forum from the last couple of months for information on that.

I closed my account in June of 2013. The dish was damaged to the point that I threw it away so I don't have it any longer.

Thanks for the info...I'll do some digging on here.

I presume any 75 cm or greater dish will work with the new LNBF or is it just safer to get a Shaw Dish that has the quad LNB?

Thanks for all the info so far. When I had Shaw before, the major Canadian networks were in HD out of Toronto. I've noticed that there has been a lineup change. Will I still be able to get HD networks like CBC, CTV, Global and City?

Yes you will get all the Toronto HD networks.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

My final question (for now): is it still not a good idea to connect the PVR 630 to the internet with my type of account?

Again, thank you all for your help.

I heard back from my broker and they've told me that they can reactivate my existing equipment, so this might be helpful for those who may be in a similar situation as myself. I'd rather go through them since they already have my information versus trying to do this on my own. If there are other suggestions, please PM me with that information.

Again, thanks for all the help provided here.

Just like if you called them.
If you don't go through a broker they don't know where you are. I use to call from Minneapolis on my Shaw account that was set up in "Ft Frances, ON"

How do you think legit snowbirds call Shaw when they are in Florida or Arizona?

I´ve read here and in other boards that you shouldn´t call them if you´re outside Canada.
But if you do, and they notice a foreign phone number, will they cut off your service just because of that ?

Anyway, there are ways to call from outside and hide your number and ways to call showing a Canadian ph number.

Anyway, I think it was around the time when the new G1 sat was launched that Shaw terminated their
"Home away from home" program that allowed for a second receiver outside of Canada, thus creating legit
snowbird watchers.
That program was replaced with the second home. I think that was in line with the concept that now any snowbirds south of the border
wouldn´t be able to receive full programming due to the new sat´s footprint limited to Canada with a minimum spillover
to the northern US.

I was more concerned about the issue mentioned in the other thread I linked.

For those outside the new sat footprint, with a non-Toronto address and with extended Ku lnbfs.
The thread mentioned that if your receiver has mapped the channels on the new sat, and you tune
to say Toronto GBL HD, the receiver will simi-sub to say the Vancouver GBL HD channel (assuming you
gave a Vancoiuver address), but if you´re outside G1´s footprint you´ll get a no signal black screen.

So you end up watching neither one.

That is unless as a new subscriber you´re paying the 5 bucks for the time shift package and you can watch
both the Toronto and Vancouver channels but on SD only.

I just had my Shaw dish installed and I'm now waiting for programming activation which will occur on Monday. I think my installer set up my dish to get one of the two satellites. On Channel 299, I get a searching for satellite signal and the red light is lit on the front of the receiver; channel 300, I get a message stating the receiver needs to be refreshed.

Is this normal since G1?

I just had my Shaw dish installed and I'm now waiting for programming activation which will occur on Monday. I think my installer set up my dish to get one of the two satellites. On Channel 299, I get a searching for satellite signal and the red light is lit on the front of the receiver; channel 300, I get a message stating the receiver needs to be refreshed.

Is this normal since G1?

Try tuning to ch 9 and 23,

I get the receiver has lost satellite signal message on both channels.

Ok the following channels should be watchable if you have signal, since they are open without a sub.

9 Know
23 CTV2AB
197 TSC
290 BCLTV.

Let me check in the meantime if these ones are on |07 or 111 sats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)