A few questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Blackloz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
Minot,ND
A friend of mine who is finally going to cut the cord with cable and sign up with Dish. He new I was a "sat guy" so to speak and had a few questions for me. Now I'm not quite sure of the exact answers, so this is the situation almost a year ago he was going to get Dish and he went out and bought 3 receivers 1 922 and 2 211K's(I'm sure that was nice and expensive) and kept them all this time due to still being under contract. He now has an install for this Friday setup and wants to know what the monthly receiver fees will be? Also I'm going to go with him after work to get 3 ehd's is it a 2TB max on all 3 models or are the 211k's limited to 1TB? He wants to do the everything pack + BMP. Me not being a Dish sub wasn't sure of the exact fee breakdown.

Thanks

Just keep in mind you can't move the EHD's around between the 211's and the 922. You may want to check with a DIRT member if Dish will activate a 922, they no longer are selling them and not sure if you don't currently have one activated if you can anymore.

Cost will be a $6 DVR fee, and $14 for the two 211k's I believe.

Thanks!! $24 then. :)

If he's lucky they won't activate it, eat the cost, and save himself ongoing problems.... :D

Thanks for all the help. If the 922 is a no go then he will have to try for a 722K. I will get him to call Dish tonight or the retailer he got it from.

Blackloz said:
Thanks for all the help. If the 922 is a no go then he will have to try for a 722K. I will get him to call Dish tonight or the retailer he got it from.

How many TVs does your friend have? If three TVs, your friend could get three 211s. 211s can be turned into DVrs for a one time $40 fee and external hard drives. This would eliminate the $6 DVr fee although there would not be streaming capability for on demand for the tv. This would be $14 a month for 3 hd TVs and optional dvr service.

Ok so the retailer is going to swap the 922 for a 722k apparently. I'm not sure how he swung that being that he bought the equipment 9 months ago. So now he is looking at a 722K & two 211k. He also wants the ota module since he isn't sure what exactly Dish offers in the terms of HD locals here in Bloomington.

Ok so the retailer is going to swap the 922 for a 722k apparently. I'm not sure how he swung that being that he bought the equipment 9 months ago. So now he is looking at a 722K & two 211k. He also wants the ota module since he isn't sure what exactly Dish offers in the terms of HD locals here in Bloomington.

722 would be the primary receiver; therefore, it is included in the package price. A 722 covers 1 HDTV and 1 SDTV (with downcoverted 480i HD channels if interested in watching those HD only channels which is nice considering you could not do so with just an SD receiver). There would be a $6 DVR fee. The additional 211ks are $7/each. So, that would be a total of $20 ($6 + $7 + $7). That would cover 4 TVs. The 722 would have DVR service on both TVs. The 211ks could optionally have DVR service with an external hard drive (which may be somewhat costly) and a one-time $40 DVR integration fee to turn the receivers into DVRs. That would mean 4 TVs (3 HD and 1 SD and possibly 4 DVRs).

He said he wants to use the 722 in single mode on the main tv with the two 211k's on his other 2 HD sets and yes he wants to get 3 ehd's one for each receiver.

Blackloz said:
He said he wants to use the 722 in single mode on the main tv with the two 211k's on his other 2 HD sets and yes he wants to get 3 ehd's one for each receiver.

Great! It sounds like he has knowledge already about dish and the equipment!

is it a 2TB max on all 3 models or are the 211k's limited to 1TB?

While some have reported the 211k works with a drive larger than 1tb, it is not officially supported by dish and you may run into compatibility issues. Play it safe and get 1tb drives.

Well we went out and swapped the 922 for a 722K, at first the guy wanted to give my friend a 722 for the 922 but I convinced him otherwise to give a 722K due to the 4 tunner with OTA mod. Then we went and picked up a 2TB ehd for the 722K and 2 1TB's for the 211k's, so by the time I get home from work on Friday he should b up & running and I will go over and check it out. BTW the retailer was claiming at first that Dish still activates 922's but I told him better to be safe then sorry.

He'll probably be happier with the 722K, anyway. AFAIK, 922s can still be activated. Dish just isn't selling/installing them any more.

He'll probably be happier with the 722K, anyway.

Cheaper, can do Sling with $30 Sling Adapter, but has less eye-popping GUI than a 922 or the Hopper.

You also mentioned BMP? Is that for "Blockbuster Movie Pass"? If so, it's now called Blockbuster@home, and unless I'm sorely mistaken is NOT AVAILABLE ON A 211. 2TB disks are fine for all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)