A few surprises from Vivek!

This thread makes me laugh. When the Hopper came out all we heard was people complaining about how two Hoppers were not fully integrated. Then all they wanted was to as least be able to handle timers on for both Hoppers. Now that Dish is finally listening we still get people complaining. It's impossible to make everyone happy. :rolleyes:
This x 1 BILLION!!!!

My wife bitched when I took her cable box away and replaced it with a DVR. Then she bitched when I replaced the DVR with an HR-21. Then she bitched when I replaced the HR-21 with an HR-24. Then she bitched when I replaced the HR-24 with a VIP722K. Then she bitched when I replaced the 722K with a Hopper 2K. She hasn't bitched for more than 2 years now but if my Hopper ever steals one of her timers it's gonna be bitchin' time again. Please Dish, make timer sharing optional for my peace and quiet.

Haha... Thanks for the laugh!

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

if Dish were offering seamless integration like with a Super Joey, it would be more compelling (that's actually what we were expecting at launch).

If it's just some halfway system that might hijack tuners on the other hopper and drive everyone in the house crazy, then yeah I'd at least want a way to opt out. At this stage, i'm not even sure I see the point of this update as competitors like Verizon are coming up with six tuner DVRs that will all be in one box seamlessly integrated...

Yep, for sure. I think Dish really needs to come up with a fix for the Super Joey that can work with more than one Hopper. I really wish they would take a break from loading new things and fix all the issues with the Hopper / Joey. Especially the things that worked great till a soft ware update came out.

I like the BT Audio option for Joeys, which are usually installed in bedrooms. Whoever originally suggested that must be very smart...and handsome...and funny...and brave.
Why thank you I appreciate the kind comments!

Oh wait I didn't suggest it...

Hey wait a moment wasn't it you who suggested it? Nah can't be!

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I missed the broadcast because it was after my bedtime but, just out of morbid curiosity, did anyone ask about the possibility of fixing all of the bugs that have been introduced into Hoppers with the addition of the new features? I've missed 2 of the first 3 Monday 24 shows, the conflict resolver doesn't work properly, EHD transfer only allows a percentage of available recordings, it's slow, etc. These things were better in the fall of 2012, IMO, and have gone downhill since then.

I missed the broadcast because it was after my bedtime but, just out of morbid curiosity, did anyone ask about the possibility of fixing all of the bugs that have been introduced into Hoppers with the addition of the new features? I've missed 2 of the first 3 Monday 24 shows, the conflict resolver doesn't work properly, EHD transfer only allows a percentage of available recordings, it's slow, etc. These things were better in the fall of 2012, IMO, and have gone downhill since then.

Someone did call in and ask not so much about "bug fixes" but getting back some of the performance lost on the Hopper since new features have been introduced. Vivek's answer was basically yes because he's not happy with the drop in performance either but this will take time to sort out and didn't promise anything really in the near future.

How many people have more than 1 Hopper. Just the guys on the forum or is this a nationwide thing.
I'm confident that very few households have multiple Hoppers. By default, with up to five (5) TVs (admittedly, with the introduction of the Super Joey, this likely changed (increased)), Dish will supply one (1) Hopper.

Now, how many normal households have five (5) TVs ?

I'm confident that very few households have multiple Hoppers. By default, with up to five (5) TVs (admittedly, with the introduction of the Super Joey, this likely changed (increased)), Dish will supply one (1) Hopper.

Now, how many normal households have five (5) TVs ?

I would say the average household has 4 TVs now days.

Yep, for sure. I think Dish really needs to come up with a fix for the Super Joey that can work with more than one Hopper. I really wish they would take a break from loading new things and fix all the issues with the Hopper / Joey. Especially the things that worked great till a soft ware update came out.

Although Dish engineering has improved by leaps and bounds since the days of the 721/921 (kudos for that), they still have a terrible habit of pushing out new features before fixing the basic issues.

It's like redecorating a house, while the foundation is crumbling.

Someone did call in and ask not so much about "bug fixes" but getting back some of the performance lost on the Hopper since new features have been introduced. Vivek's answer was basically yes because he's not happy with the drop in performance either but this will take time to sort out and didn't promise anything really in the near future.
Maybe they can start by removing the throttling they put in originally to slow it down? (Why do I have the feeling that nobody there has thought of or done that?)

Maybe they can start by removing the throttling they put in originally to slow it down? (Why do I have the feeling that nobody there has thought of or done that?)

Oh man I sure hope the software engineers remembered and removed it long ago.

It was 2.5 average in 2011. I would have said three average now even before looking at statistics and doubt the average is more than that. However - that is a little deceiving because of the many who watch programming on their computer now in addition to having TV's. I do it sometimes and I know teenagers will watch on their computer around the house. So if you include that, Scherrman may be in the ballpark.

Oh man I sure hope the software engineers remembered and removed it long ago.
Judging by the way bugs that were fixed in previous releases return in new releases, I have a strong suspicion that they have issues with version control among the engineering teams, which also suggests poor communication. In such an environment, it would not be surprising to see something as simple as neglecting to remove the throttling, which was added years ago just before original release, or even forgetting that it was put in to begin with.

Maybe they can start by removing the throttling they put in originally to slow it down?
Throttling ? I've been told the issue is just an overload of features (that weren't optimized to run efficiently or lean) on the slightly older hardware of the original Hopper.

Why can't Dish load the Virtual Joey app on the Hopper itself so we can see the other hopper and make it free?

Then you could view tuners and manager timers between hoppers quite easily. It would be a true "Whole Home" system...

Last edited:
You're not watching subscription TV, i.e. cable or satellite, on computers though (something like Sling is a tiny speck on the radar, so it doesn't count). We now have four (4) TVs, but only two (2) have Dish service. Our son had a 22" LCD that was hooked up to his XBox that has went to our daughter, but it's only for DVD and streaming (Netflix via the BR player). Our son has our old 57" RP HDTV, again, just for XBox (and whatever he can stream via the XBox).

If the average was 2.5 in 2011, maybe it's increased now to 2.7 or 2.8 (some people will think it can double in 2-3 years !!).

It was 2.5 average in 2011. I would have said three average now even before looking at statistics and doubt the average is more than that. However - that is a little deceiving because of the many who watch programming on their computer now in addition to having TV's. I do it sometimes and I know teenagers will watch on their computer around the house. So if you include that, Scherrman may be in the ballpark.

I'll bet that most people say they only have 2 or 3 TVs because those are the main ones they watch but eventually they will tell you they also have one in the guest bedroom, the kitchen, the exercise room, garage, basement, kids room.......... People rarely mention all the extra TVs that hardly get used, mostly because they are an old tube TVs.

I have 3 TVs. One of them is an old tube version. At one point, years ago, I had 4, one in the garage. I don't spend any time out there any more so that TV went to the recycler... One of these days the tube TV in the bedroom that gets little use will be upgraded to a flat screen HDTV....

Throttling ? I've been told the issue is just an overload of features (that weren't optimized to run efficiently or lean) on the slightly older hardware of the original Hopper.
Yes. As features were added to the Hopper, performance has gotten slower. However, before it was released, it was lightening fast. So fast, in fact, that it was difficult to use. So, they throttled it back to make it easier for the average human.

The question now is: have they forgotten to remove the original throttling code, and, is the slowdown from the added features on top of the original slowdown from the throttling?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts