A "hard" question. (dish mounting)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

123tim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Pennsylvania
O.K....The question isn't really all that hard, but what I'm asking about willl be when it sets up. :)

How much cement would the average person (with some experience) use for a dish and motor mount in the 36 inch range? Would a single 40 pound bag of sackrete (spelling?) be enough?

Thanks.
Tim

Yes thats what I use (60 pound + a few bricks) I dig 3' deep and the hole is 7" dia. I also have enough to fill the 2" pipe to the top with cement!

I used 80 LBS on my 1m, and dug a four foot hole about 9 inch wide. The 80LBS only filled the hole about 3/4 of the way but that is what I wanted. This let me set the cable underground tight against the pole so that it can be mowed around.
Also, now I am 100 percent sure that the thing won't move.

|{
|
|
-|______------ "-"ground level "|" mast "______" cable " ~~" 80LBS
|~|
|~|

Pete and havenx.

Thanks for the advice. Glad that I asked....hadn't planned on using that much. I'm certain that I would have had problems at some point because of this.

I appreciate your help.

Tim

TIP: Put the ground rod right in the hole before dumping in the cement. I've heard that a "rule of thumb" is you want the diamter of the hole to be at least equal to three times the OD of your pipe. When I put up the 10 footer last year I used 800 (yes, eight hundred) pounds of Quikrete. Even if the dish blows away we'll still have one heck of a flag pole. Good luck.

I put my 4" diameter pole in a 3' deep hole. the bottom 6" is rock, then concrete on top of that, then pole is filled to a height of 3" tall. took 3 or 4 bags iirc. It had a 10' dish on it for about 15 years, then sat there until I put the KU dish on it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)