A hypothetical plan to save VOOM

Walter L.

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 29, 2004
Portland, Oregon
First, let me repeat what I've said before: VOOM is dead. This post is just a hypothetical plan that came to my mind. Anyway here it is:

1) The Dolans buy the remaining of VOOM. Without the satellite it shouldn't be that expensive.

2) Lets's assume a period of 3-6 months of pending FCC approval during which VOOM can continue using Rainbow-1. Without stopping the broadcast on Rainbow-1, VOOM starts broadcasting all channels on Rainbow-2 (AMC-6) and using MPGE-4 (that will even allow extra capacity for new channels).

3) After Rainbow-2 is up, VOOM starts migrating customers. A single trip from the installer will re-position the dish, change the LNB and install the MPEG-4 module into the STB.

Update: based on the latest development, I'm starting to think that VOOM is not really dead. Maybe this plan is not as crazy as I originally though

Hey, Walter,

Have to give you credit for remaining positive. Hope springs eternal.

Still watching HDTV while we have it under lightly raining Seattle skies, Gill

I'm not so sure either, does anyone know how many uplink facilities they have? I can't think the South Dakota one was the only one.

calypsocowboy said:
I'm not so sure either, does anyone know how many uplink facilities they have? I can't think the South Dakota one was the only one.
Scott mentioned that they're building a new one.

The Dolan family has nothing to do with this-Father has a dream,Son spits on it-has investors on his side,done deal.They do not have two satellites,they have one,do not have 250 million sitting around for the next one + they owe for not following through on the contracts for the other satellites

Walter L. said:
First, let me repeat what I've said before: VOOM is dead. This post is just a hypothetical plan that came to my mind. Anyway here it is:

1) The Dolans buy the remaining of VOOM. Without the satellite it shouldn't be that expensive.

2) Lets's assume a period of 3-6 months of pending FCC approval during which VOOM can continue using Rainbow-1. Without stopping the broadcast on Rainbow-1, VOOM starts broadcasting all channels on Rainbow-2 (AMC-6) and using MPGE-4 (that will even allow extra capacity for new channels).

3) After Rainbow-2 is up, VOOM starts migrating customers. A single trip from the installer will re-position the dish, change the LNB and install the MPEG-4 module into the STB.

Walter this is exactly what I have been saying or proposing for the last 2 weeks here. I have MANY satellite dishes pointed at many different FTA KU satellites here at home. AMC6 is one of them. But, the minimum size for a dish pointed at AMC6 for KU reception is a 1 meter elliptical dish. I am using old Channel Master Primestar dishes for this.

The concept does work because I am doing it. However a larger dish will be required and the LNB has to be switched out to a 10750 MHz linear LNB from the current 2250(?) MHz circular polarity LNB along with the larger dish.

I am not sure if the 30" standard large Voom dish has enough signal to noise ratio to do what is needed. This is what I am using for Voom now but with the DBS KU LNB that all of us have. This is receiving a much more powerful signal than the AMC 6 satellite is capable of transmitting.

All the current DBS providers are using the high power DVB Mpeg 2 small dish solution at the moment.

branchbouncer said:
The Dolan family has nothing to do with this-Father has a dream,Son spits on it-has investors on his side,done deal.They do not have two satellites,they have one,do not have 250 million sitting around for the next one + they owe for not following through on the contracts for the other satellites

Wong branchbouncer breath. Son Tom is with Dad as well as a few other family members. Only Son Jim (the turncoat) has didn't inherit his dad's vision.

With all due respect I think some of you are getting a little too hopeful and losing touch with reality. The reality is that VOOM sold their satellite and Cablevision is getting out of the satellite business. We all hope they stay around for a while, but there will be no permanent solution. They will be here for a short time, and then be out of business.

Lucky said:
With all due respect I think some of you are getting a little too hopeful and losing touch with reality. The reality is that VOOM sold their satellite and Cablevision is getting out of the satellite business. We all hope they stay around for a while, but there will be no permanent solution. They will be here for a short time, and then be out of business.
Lucky, who knows? Maybe we get lucky :D

Walter L. said:
Lucky, who knows? Maybe we get lucky :D

I really would like for you to be right, but I just don't see it. I don't see why in the world they would sell off Rainbow 1 and then stay in business. :confused:

Lucky said:
I really would like for you to be right, but I just don't see it. I don't see why in the world they would sell off Rainbow 1 and then stay in business. :confused:
I don't know. Maybe they sold Rainbow-1 because they can't affort to own it, but they can affort to lease Rainbow-2 (AMC6).

Walter L. said:
Voom still has a lot of debt to service. Selling R1 plus the licenses and new uplink will raise some money. But not enough to clear up the past.
Walter L. said:
2) Lets's assume a period of 3-6 months of pending FCC approval during which VOOM can continue using Rainbow-1. Without stopping the broadcast on Rainbow-1, VOOM starts broadcasting all channels on Rainbow-2 (AMC-6) and using MPEG-4 (that will even allow extra capacity for new channels).
Have they proven that their boxes will successfully run MPEG-4?

Moving to AMC-6 is an option. An expensive one as it will cost a service call to EVERY remaining customer and a replacement dish and LNB for EVERY remaining customer. That won't be cheap. Perhaps $300 per customer including Installs labor? That would take nearly $8 million, plus they still have to rent the space on AMC-6.
Walter L. said:
Replace the dish. AMC-6 is a lower power satellite. It is more than an LNB change and aim. (And if a "module" needs to be added we can add to the conversion costs.)

Voom has a future if they focus on what Cablevision has done best. Provision of content. If they can get E* or D* to carry "Voom HD Theatre" or some better named service they may survive. But the cost of maintaining a customer base and paying their debts need to be delt with - fast.

JL

From what has been posted and published, Charlie E and Charlie D are friends. Someting behind the scenes lurking....lurker?

gutter said:
From what has been posted and published, Charlie E and Charlie D are friends. Someting behind the scenes lurking....lurker?
There are always possibilities ...

I'd prefer to stay with hypotheticals that are possible instead of the raving Voom maniacs that think that the satellite service can survive intact.

JL

justalurker said:
There are always possibilities ...

I'd prefer to stay with hypotheticals that are possible instead of the raving Voom maniacs that think that the satellite service can survive intact.

JL

So who cares if they don't survive in their present form? re-inventing to a new form or as a programmer for HDTV works for me too. Also based on your previous posts... you should look in the mirror.

"Mirror...mirror on the wall. Who is the most manic VOOM hater of them all."

gutter said:
Wong branchbouncer breath. Son Tom is with Dad as well as a few other family members. Only Son Jim (the turncoat) has didn't inherit his dad's vision.
Okay twit lets see how many friends CD has,VOOM is gone in X time however long that is,no one knows and who really cares,more HD programing will come along soon,it is just a matter of time. Who cares what provider it is,if you want to watch sign up,pay the bill,and sit back and enjoy.
We had VOOM installed 1/31/05 and be honest running D* and VOOM side by side there is no big difference,one show looks good on D* and not on VOOM-show looks good on VOOM and the not on D*.One thing is for sure the best picture in HD that I have seen is HDNET--blows the others away no matter what service-VOOM,cable,D*,E*,OTA.The only problem with HDNET is that the programing is so-so but that is true with most networks.If everyone watches football--I hope everybody has a good superbowl party,eat alot,drink alot,have friends and fun
By the way it's wrong,not wong,bot i's nat tat goood at seplling iether

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)