A little C-Band Talk with a local TV Station

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ussexplroer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 17, 2007
So I went to a local TV station to talk about business. On the way out the door I asked them about there setup.

1. This is a small single wide mfg home with the front used for red cross and the back used for the TV station. Consisting of a few offices, bathrooms, and a once I assume master bed room with 2 racks of equiptment.

2. They receive all there programming through 3 10ft dishes. I think they are 10ft. C-band digital.

3. The system that puts in the comercials is of all things connected to a phone line. They use the same phone line for the number at the station. (Pretty small station)

4. The station manager did know about KU band stuff but mostly related it to sports feeds.

5. To broadcast the signal they use microwave to beam it to the howard mtn in Pocatello, ID. They did have a backup dish/system but they loaned the parts to a sister station. So outside the house is a nice tower with a couple of big microwave dishes on them pointed up to the mtn.

6. That they only broadcast in UHF channel 15 in this area and also that they are a CW station. They use to be a WB station.

7. If you are really interested there is a wiki article written up on the station.

So you ask why all of this in the cband section. Well, I thought it was nice that they used C-Band digital to get there programming from. Sorry the tech was gone home for the day and I had to get back to work from my lunch hour or I would have quizzed him if possible.

Later,

Josh

Azel

SatelliteGuys Family
May 11, 2005
Interesting. I've heard that most stations use a service connected by fiber to insert their commercial breaks. Really cuts down on operating cost. Not sure how it can be done over phone lines.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)