A little help from fellow Voomers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Kickor

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Wilmington, NC
I'm wondering if I might solicit opinions from you guys. It's time to upgrade my TV and I know many of you use/know the the sets I'm looking at. I'm having a hard time deciding between two and any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Right now it's between ...

the Samsung HLN4365W DLP

or

the JVC PD42WV74 Plasma

I'm aware of benefits and drawbacks of both technologies, but my real concern is picture of course. The samsung is an HDTV (720P native) and the JVC is an EDTV. Am I truly sacrificing a lot of detail by going with the plasma. How does an EDTV plasma look with Voom. Anyone who owns any DLP by samsung loves them to death but my concern is that the TV will sit in a high cabinent and viewing angle may diminish the brightness. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Pete

I have a DLP and a GWII both connected to VOOM. The DLP and the VOOM box do not communicate well through DVI at 720p. I had a lot of problems connecting both at native resolution. I ended up using 1080i out of the VOOM receiver. HD looks great on DLP but be prepeared to tweak it. I also have a GWII and love it as well. I also have a EDTV plasma but no VOOM receiver connected yet. But HD display are located in rooms where I can control the lighting but I wouldn't too much about it. I can't tell you much about the plasma and VOOM.

I would skip both and go with a CRT, I am using a 34 Inch Daewoo 1080i HD Monitor.

Niether of the ones you mention have the same native resolution as Voom so you will most likely get some pic degredation. I also would stay away from any rear projection display of any kind, pic on HD may be ok, but standard looks like crap (I am prejudiced, I think all rear projection technology is crap) So either a Plasma HDTV capable of 1080i, or a CRT capable of 1080i is what I would reccomend

I have a 61" Sammy DLP, so you know what I will say, but seriously...

If you are going to have it sitting too high, not having it bright enough will be the least of your problems, It will not be comfortable to watch for any length of time...given that the DLP does not do well vertically with light you are right this would not be the best option. I have not had the problems with my DLP running in native mode that Sean mentions.

Since you are looking at a 42 or 43 inch set, going CRT is really not an option unless you want to go to a small screen, sorry JaydeeD, but size really is everything ;-). Another thing to think about is burn-in, since a lot of what I end up watching is 4x3 and I don't really like streching the picture, having the DLP be burn proof is a good thing. Plasma's will burn-in and DLP's will not the technology makes it impossible.

When I bought mine, I had a guy a tweeter have the DLP, Plasma, and LCOS next to each other, the Plasma was outstanding at HD, the DLP and LCOS were a close second, in SD the DLP blew away the plasma though and the LCOS was both too expensive and too heavy.

I too would stay away from standard Rear projection, but some of the newer ones are pretty interesting.

Plasma in a heartbeat. The burn in issue is less of an issue with proper contrast & orbiting modes. I always watch OAR, 4x3 or whatever, and no problems. I do think low def looks like crap (that's why we got Voom, right?), but I chaulked that up to garbage in-garbage out vs a plasma issue.

I also have a 34" CRT, but will watch the plasma for critical viewing & larger viewing impact (50").

I have no idea on the JVC but the NEC 42" new is getting raves and priced low. Check out the AVSforum plasma board.

Tim

Tim

I have never delt with DLP's so can't give any advice on that but what I am struggling with is why you would buy an EDTV to watch HD programing on.

I've had a panny plasma for almost 2 years now and have not had any problems with burn it. Granted, I don't watch much 4x3 with side bars but I do some.

Don't bother with ED, if you have to wait until you can afford true HD or you will regret it.

DarrellP said:
Don't bother with ED, if you have to wait until you can afford true HD or you will regret it.
AMEN!!! I had a Panny ED Plasma for 3 weeks and took it back to the store to get an upgrade to the HD model (for only $600 extra). This is the best decision I done in my "HT life" :D. Like Darrel said, wait until you can afford a real HD or go for a different technology where you can affort HD now.

the choices are EDTV vs HDTV. its a no brainer. The sammy HD set. Ill buy any HD set over any EDTV set. Well anything but APEX LMFAOOOOOOOOOO

If $$ is an object, and it definitely was for me, you might want to check this out..

http://www.uecweb.com/

I bought my Hitachi there and am very pleased. Right now they have a 55DMX01WD for $5550.00 off of list with full warranty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)