A Little More Voltage than needed!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bpalone

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
44N 105W
Well just had a lightning strike. So far it looks like the big screen LCD, the Roku box, the MicroHD, the satellite actuator control box (and I didn't win), and the jury is out on the A3 as the power supply is dead. The A3 did power up enough to say boot on the front, but I need the power supply I used for that to power my small TV.

So, at this time it looks like a costly evening. Guess it gives something to do over the next few days/weeks.

Very sorry to hear, bpalone. :(
Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Got insurance ?

Since I sell satellite I always have a ton of good surge protectors.

Had a surge at the office and burned out 43 of them. Lost 1 printer that was not connected.

I didn't even bother getting them replaced under warranty. Threw all the bad surge protectors away and bought new ones.

Our cost for a Panamax was like $14 or $17. Wasn't worth the hassle of obtaining an RA number and shipping them back.

Well just had a lightning strike. So far it looks like the big screen LCD, the Roku box, the MicroHD, the satellite actuator control box (and I didn't win), and the jury is out on the A3 as the power supply is dead. The A3 did power up enough to say boot on the front, but I need the power supply I used for that to power my small TV.

So, at this time it looks like a costly evening. Guess it gives something to do over the next few days/weeks.
I feel for you! We took a hit last year and lost the satellite receiver, both lnbs (ku and c band), antenna preamp and the kid's computer. We could feel the hair stand up on our arms. I now disconnect all coax lines whenever there are bad storms on the way. Glad you are safe!

This morning got a look at things better outside. Also had an actuator runaway and damaged my C band mount. Don't know just how bad it all is yet, but will over the next couple of days. Did take some pictures, when I get them resized I'll upload them.

Now it off to Office Depot to replace the cordless phones that bit the dust with it.

Lightning is no fun. I had many a close call living in Florida, but is wasn't till I moved to upstate SC that I finally had damage. I lost a A2 a 4DTV and a Icom R75. Not a direct hit, but static charge that I blame the 12 foot unimesh and the longwire antenna for. All incoming lines are grounded to the house ground by a common ground rod that is the house ground.There is only so much you can do for lightning. By the way my A3 was saved thanks to playing with a X2 mini I put in it's place to see how it worked.

Horrible news, Bpalone. :(

If you don't have insurance and are a little handy, check for blown fuses, blown off traces in power supplies, you might get lucky.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)