A Little Worried About D* Install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nickg420

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 31, 2005
Flowery Branch, Ga
I just switched to D* and my install is Sat. I have been reading about the second cable needed for D* DVRs....It will be impossible to run a second line at my home....

I have high cathedral ceilings in my living room, and my TV and entertainment center are located on an inside wall....What will the installer do?? I refuse to pay $100 to fish a line down a cathedral height wall....which is more than likely impossible to start with....any ideas??

Are they using the SWM in Georgia??

D*'s currently using SWM8's (SWM5's discontinued) for multi unit dwellings only at this time, no private installs. They're supposed to have the new SWMSlimline dish for homes but they're not available yet. If you want to spend the money there's a person at i can get swm8's - DBSTalk.Com who's selling them for about the cheapest price around.

I hate to say it, but for now you may just want to go with one line into your DVR. That's what I'm having to do for now. It sucks, I miss the being able to record two programs at once and watch something and record something else at the same time, obviously with one line you can't do that. I do have a DVR upstairs in the bedroom and one downstairs in the main room so I can kind of do the recording I need with the two separate boxes.

I think I have it figured out...the baby's nursery is in the room behind the TV....I will have them run the second line through the exterior wall into the nursery and through the wall to the back of the receiver.....

Seems easy and should fall under the "Standard Install"

Whats wrong with running the cable through the crawlspace or basement? Thats something I'm sure can be done.

I don't have either....I'm on a slab...I regret it now but at the time we built this house on this lot that we fell in love with we were not able to have a basement....now we hate this lot and would love to have a basement....I guess some people are never happy!!:eek:

I don't have either....I'm on a slab...I regret it now but at the time we built this house on this lot that we fell in love with we were not able to have a basement....now we hate this lot and would love to have a basement....I guess some people are never happy!!:eek:
Sorry to hear that! Hope you don't get to many Tornadoes

I just switched to D* and my install is Sat. I have been reading about the second cable needed for D* DVRs....It will be impossible to run a second line at my home....

I have high cathedral ceilings in my living room, and my TV and entertainment center are located on an inside wall....What will the installer do?? I refuse to pay $100 to fish a line down a cathedral height wall....which is more than likely impossible to start with....any ideas??

Are they using the SWM in Georgia??

then you fish it down the wall if you want it and then let us know if it would be worth 100 bucks to pay someone!!!!

Slightly off topic, but if E* can feed a dual tuner with one cable, why cant D*?

Attachments

• DIRECTV_MFH2tm_PDISAT.pdf
    525.3 KB · Views: 510
War zone material; please don't hijack this thread.

I was scared someone would think i was trolling....I'm really not. I'm considering making the switch to D*, and I'm just curious....running two cables may be a problem for me.

Talk to your installer, i helped my installer do the install and he ran a custom wall fish for free. I did end up tipping him for his willingness to work with me. I found out it never hurts to negotiate!

I doubt any of them are stealing anyones ideas this tech has been around a while but likely not very cost effectively for the avg home market; these days the times are changing.

Slightly off topic, but if E* can feed a dual tuner with one cable, why cant D*?

Because the receiver feeds a signal back to the LNB, which selects the appropriate satellite and transponder based upon voltage and the presence of a control frequency. D* uses 13/18 VDC and a 22kHz tone, so you have 4 possible combinations. If your DVR was sending back two different signals to the LNB, the higher voltage one would over power the lower voltage and it wouldn't be seen by the LNB.

War zone material; please don't hijack this thread. AND.. they can and do; it has slowly been rolling out and used where the is NO OTHER ALTERNATIVE, from what I was told.

Amazon.com: DIRECTV SWM-8 (SWM8) Single-Wire Multiswitch: Electronics (here is a unit)

I think there is a 16 on its way too, if not already.

Here are additional products:

DIRECTV MFH2 from PDI-SAT

there is no swm 16 on the way as of right now. there are rumors of a swm11, but likely it is just a rumor

Ok so you would rather have the coax run into the nursery then into the living room as opposed to spending what will be less than $70 for a wall fish because???... Dont take this wrong but if you can aford cathedral ceilings then a wall fish shouldnt be a problem. Most likely there shouldnt be a problem to fish the new coax down the wall as long as there is an attic access to get to that area to do it. If you need an installers opinion prior to saturday I can come out from Athens to take a look, your call really but if it were my new house I'd go with the wall fish to keep it looking nice.

Ok so you would rather have the coax run into the nursery then into the living room as opposed to spending what will be less than $70 for a wall fish because???... Dont take this wrong but if you can aford cathedral ceilings then a wall fish shouldnt be a problem. Most likely there shouldnt be a problem to fish the new coax down the wall as long as there is an attic access to get to that area to do it. If you need an installers opinion prior to saturday I can come out from Athens to take a look, your call really but if it were my new house I'd go with the wall fish to keep it looking nice.

Van no offense taken;)

The problem is not money so much but that I have no faith that a cable could be fished down the wall....my cables were ran prior to drywall, so I have no doubt the 20 some odd feet the cable would need to be fished from attic to outlet will be damn near impossible to get down....I could be totally wrong...I don't do satellite installs....so I am out of my element....going purely off assumptions...and we all know what is said about assuming :D

It also depends on the actual installer they send out....If I sense he was doing good just to find my house I probably will not be asking him to do a wall fish....;)

Van no offense taken;)

The problem is not money so much but that I have no faith that a cable could be fished down the wall....my cables were ran prior to drywall, so I have no doubt the 20 some odd feet the cable would need to be fished from attic to outlet will be damn near impossible to get down....I could be totally wrong...I don't do satellite installs....so I am out of my element....going purely off assumptions...and we all know what is said about assuming :D

It also depends on the actual installer they send out....If I sense he was doing good just to find my house I probably will not be asking him to do a wall fish....;)

I agree with you 100%. If there is another way I would not trust someone to walk all over my attic, he could drop out of the 20' ceiling and you could have a lawsuit at hand:)

A cable can easily be tugged under the base board then have carpet cover it back in with no trace left at all. I did so in two of my rooms using closets to terminate cables, I swear if I die tomorrow no one will ever discover those cables.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)