A message on behalf of techs to customers

lawnmowerman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
midwest
Hi all.

I just registered and wanted to thank everyone involved in maintaining this site. I have found this forum useful for answering questions that my colleagues cannot. And since I've been reading here as a non member I've wanted to issue a few messages:

Customers, unless you are receiving error messages on your tv please do not call dish network for a trouble call and a technician to re-point your dish.

Customers, please don't disconnect, cut, or modify any of the wires that run from your dish. And if you do, and your system stops working, please don't call dish network and blame the last technician on-site for your problem.

Customers, if I tell you there is no line of site, that means there is no line of site. No matter how many times you call dish network again, calling and calling is not going to cut down the trees surrounding your house.

Customers, please let your technicians work in peace. Do not follow them around and watch everything they do as they work, and do not plop down on an arm chair in front of your patio window and watch me put up your dish in -15 weather.

Customers, if your technician pulls up in a personal vehicle this means he is a sub contractor. A sub is paid by the job, not by the hour. I am not going to hook up your surround sound system or re-wire an entire house. If your tech pulls up in a dish net van he probably will re-wire a pre-wired home, and he can set up your home theater system.

Customers, if I tell you there is no line of site, that means there is no line of site. No matter how many times you call dish network again, calling and calling is not going to cut down the trees surrounding your house.

i understand where you are coming from on your statements, but this one did happen to me. i signed up on the website, they sent out a tech. i greet him at the door and before i can say hi, he says that i won't be able to get an install because of no line-of-sight. well i take him to the southside of the house and he says that those trees over there will be blocking the signal and he also mentioned that he remembered this house specifically because he had been out here previously about 5 years ago. that was just an all out lie since we have lived in this house for the past 18 years! so i called dish and asked them to reschedule another install. sent the same tech out, same bs. i said ok, i will figure something else out. well i go down to my local electronics store, they have dish and direct. the sent a tech out(inhouse, in town tech mind you) with me as i left the store. got to the house. we went to the back of the house and he started looking around and said that he probably wouldn't be able to mount the dish on the house but he could mount it on the tool shed i had back there, trench the lines from the dish and bury them and then run them under the house and to the cable box on the outside. works perfectly and i receive signal strength between 80-50 on most sats. no issues since, that was about 2 years ago. so, yes do call back. this installer just thought the job was too much i think.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.. DO not call dish and get me into trouble for bein lazy waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why should we not watch you while you do an install? what if you steal something from me? Should I just let you go walkin around my house without me keepin an eye on you?
waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

this makes no sense? Customers, unless you are receiving error messages on your TV please do not call dish network for a trouble call and a technician to re-point your dish. if it pix elates who do we call the pixel fairy?
Waaaahhhhh!!

Hi all.
Customers, if your technician pulls up in a personal vehicle this means he is a sub contractor. A sub is paid by the job, not by the hour. I am not going to hook up your surround sound system or re-wire an entire house. If your tech pulls up in a dish net van he probably will re-wire a pre-wired home, and he can set up your home theater system.[/FONT]

No. You're nuts. We will NOT re-wire a pre-wired home, if the wiring is RG-6. There's no reason to do something like that. We don't waste time and materials doing things just for the heck of it. Secondly, we will NOT hook up surround sound or anything else like that. Maybe a VCR or DVD player. Just because we're paid hourly doesn't mean we're the customer's bitch. There are things we are required to do, and things we aren't allowed to do. Us hourly guys have goals and jobs to meet. We can't and won't waste time doing things on a job that aren't part of the installation. I've been both a sub and hourly over my career.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.. DO not call dish and get me into trouble for bein lazy waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's not what he was concerned about. What causes up problems is unnecessary trouble calls for things that the CSR could have handled over the phone but didn't want to. Or a customer who calls for dumb reasons, and thinks he's going to get a different answer about his HD picture quality by having someone else out. Yes, that HAS happened. I spent 45 minutes explaining to a customer the reasons why the HD picture wasn't as sharp as his cable HD (he had them both hooked up and was switching back and forth) on certain channels. He insisted I "fix" the situation. I nicely explained to him that it's outside of my purview to hop on a plane to the uplink center and dial down the compression. He acted like he understood, but 15 minutes after I left, he called the CSR complaining that I didn't "fix" his PQ problem. The next guy who came out there told him the exact same thing I did. The tech later told me that he got a really pissy look on his face when he was given the same answer.

I have had compentent installers at my house and had useless installers. All installers are not the same. I will follow any installer to be sure that he is doing a neat job or ask him to get off MY property. I own it and can do anything I want on my property. That goes for Dish or the gas company or a contractor. Maybe the OP needs to find another job.

Customers, if I tell you there is no line of site, that means there is no line of site.
Sorry, but I can't tell you how many times I've read from people who've been told "No LOS" and they call Dish and guess what ? The 2nd installer has no problem whatsoever. Are there cases where there truly isn't LOS ? I'm sure there are. Isn't a customer entitled to a 2nd opinion ?

I don't mind a customer following me around because the customer helps me out sometimes and gets it done the way they want it done. I ask them how they want this and that and make sure the customer is satisfied. I tell them the options of where I can place the dish and the spot I prefer, advantages and disadvantages of each spot, if there is a choice.

If there is something that takes only 5 minutes to hook up like a stereo then I will do it. I they want an extra room wired up then I charge them for it.

I have went out to houses that were told No Line Of Sight and I would get their signal in. Some installers either do not know how to judge line of site good enough and does not want to do the install and realize that it cannot pickup a signal or they do not want to perform a difficult install. I've went out of my way to get some people's signal in but make them pay extra if needbe due to extra wire that may need to be ran. I at least give them the option. I tell them the risks of certain installs and some I never have problems with. I know if I was in their shoes I would want an installer wanting to do all they could for me even if it cost extra.

Hi all.

I just registered and wanted to thank everyone involved in maintaining this site. I have found this forum useful for answering questions that my colleagues cannot. And since I've been reading here as a non member I've wanted to issue a few messages:

Customers, unless you are receiving error messages on your tv please do not call dish network for a trouble call and a technician to re-point your dish.

Customers, please don't disconnect, cut, or modify any of the wires that run from your dish. And if you do, and your system stops working, please don't call dish network and blame the last technician on-site for your problem.

Customers, please let your technicians work in peace. Do not follow them around and watch everything they do as they work, and do not plop down on an arm chair in front of your patio window and watch me put up your dish in -15 weather.

Customers, if your technician pulls up in a personal vehicle this means he is a sub contractor. A sub is paid by the job, not by the hour. I am not going to hook up your surround sound system or re-wire an entire house. If your tech pulls up in a dish net van he probably will re-wire a pre-wired home, and he can set up your home theater system.

Technicians, please note a few messages for you:

If I call Dish and they contact you to repoint my dish, It's because I was having problems with my picture and the CSR(s) I talked to determined that I needed a technician to repoint my dish. We aren't smart enough to know what needs to be done, just smart enough to know that no picture or crappy loss of signal pictures means call Dish to try to get my money's worth of tv.

Please don't reuse crappy wiring in my home and then wonder why I call Dish later on because I am having problems. If my 25 year old home has aluminum wiring or spliced, hacked up RG59, run a new piece of RG6 and whine to Dish if you don't get enough money to make it worth your while.

If you tell me I don't have LOS, show me so I can understand and be less likely to call Dish and more likely to find a way to create a LOS. Be polite and quickly yet properly informative so I will understand why you have said I can't get any signal. You are not that much smarter than me, just slightly more experienced.

It's my home I have invited you into. If I can't watch what you are doing and ask questions while you work, you need to find another job and don't ever have any kids. Maybe we are watching you work in -15 degree weather because we are worried that you might hurt yourself and want to be able to make sure you get help immediately when you fall to your near death.

If you come into my home and I ask you about other wiring beyond your scope of work, have a business card ready and a polite explanation that Dish pays you to establish a proper connection to your equipment and nothing beyond that but here is someone recommended to help you with the rest of your wiring issues. It could even be you as a side job. Professional and polite technicians usually score extra work that might just pay better.

Glad the forum has been of help to you!

I have had compentent installers at my house and had useless installers. All installers are not the same. I will follow any installer to be sure that he is doing a neat job or ask him to get off MY property. I own it and can do anything I want on my property. That goes for Dish or the gas company or a contractor. Maybe the OP needs to find another job.

:up +1

Sorry, but I can't tell you how many times I've read from people who've been told "No LOS" and they call Dish and guess what ? The 2nd installer has no problem whatsoever. Are there cases where there truly isn't LOS ? I'm sure there are. Isn't a customer entitled to a 2nd opinion ?

That's why as far as DNS jobs go, NLOS is verified same day by a manager.

No issue if you do all your own installs. Have never had a tech on my property. And I have 722, 622, two 612, DPP44, Dish 1000+, and Dish 500 converted as single feed side dish. It is kind of fun to be in charge.

It is a really sad affair to listen to a tech complain about working!! He should consider himself lucky to have a job!! perhaps the sub contractor can make a little extra money hooking up stereos and home theater systems..but then u need a high school education to do that kind of work

Hi all.

Im an hourly DISH tech and guess what? Im not touching anything not Dish related. Period. I have other DISH jobs to do and a family to get home to.

You touch it you own it.

well this lovely exchange makes me not want to ask my installer next week who is running a new coaxial line to also do me a favor and run two ethernet lines through the same space with the coaxial; i was planning on offering some cash but i might tread lightly now considering this exchange

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts