A Moment of Silence for my EHD

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
As I moved equipment around, one of my 500GB EHDs fell 21" onto some cloth over a wood floor. Seized up. Took apart to see if there was any chance of tapping it loose. No go. A spacer ring between the platters was sticky and allowed nothing to move. Sigh.

Not sure what was on that one. Sure don't think those circumstances should have led to total failure. Now to decide: Slip another 500 in the enclosure, buy whole new, find a "DVR rated drive" for this or another enclosure, build another RAID, or convert a spare Freeagent to the purpose?

Gonna move EHDs to near the ground.

Maybe inventory saved recordings.

SWMBO is NOT HAPPY.

Just keep in mind that your EHD did not die in vain...it performed unselfishly in dedicated service to your TV viewing...:flag: :usa2:

My EHD died when my center speaker which is behind and up over my TV decided that it would like to learn how to fly even though it does not have any wings.
It crashed into my EHD and killed it. I went out and got a new one and just plugged it into my 211 and all was OK. Of course I lost ALL recordings on my old EHD.

It's worth a mention here that, if you don't want to use navychop's usual solution of a hardware raid, you can nevertheless periodically connect up your ehd to a computer and save the DishArc folder to a secondary backup. The partitions are all ext3, so anything (such as Linux) that can read ext3 file systems can read the folder with all the archived programs.

N.B. saving the files elsewhere does not allow you to view them elsewhere! Programs are encrypted and can only be viewed using a receiver on the same account.

O boy. So even at ground level they'll be at risk from other jealous AV components!

Gotta get back into Unix (Linux).

The samething happened to me about 2 years ago. I had a 1tb ehd and was moving it around and it fell onto my hard wood floor, I thought I was ok as it still worked fine for about 2 weeks after. Then one morning I came into the room to a rather loud clicking sound and it was from the good old ehd, and it was telling me it as toast.

I've just convinced myself the next one ain't gonna be 2TB!

If you are moving your drive around, it's a good idea to power it down to make it less susceptible to bumps and falls.

Never open a hard drive and expect it to work. Clean-room conditions are necessary to avoid contamination that would do further damage.

I recommend a hardware RAID of a configuration that permits data recovery should a drive fail. (not RAID 0 or BOD). While not supported by Dish, the one I am using works fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts