A Moment of Silence for my EHD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Yes, it was off at the time. I suspect it was marginal, unbeknownst to me, and the fall was just enough to completely ruin that slip ring. Question is, how much is it worth putting in to EHDs?

I have opened HDDs before, long ago, and "nudged" the platters to move again (stuck heads), and it worked long enough to copy the contents. That's the most that can be expected, and it doesn't often work.

I have a RAID 1 on my main ViP722 in the living room. Love it. But it would likely be that both HDDs would be damaged in such a fall.

I think I'll spend part of the day organizing my EHDs so that the most important is on the RAID, and series aren't spread across more than one.

.......Never open a hard drive and expect it to work. Clean-room conditions are necessary to avoid contamination that would do further damage.....
Cannot agree more with kwindrem. The dirty air that is all around us all the time just does not work well when it ends up inside a hard drive.

.......I have opened HDDs before, long ago, and "nudged" the platters to move again (stuck heads), and it worked long enough to copy the contents. That's the most that can be expected, and it doesn't often work......
Surprised you ever got one to work after it was opened to the air.
Sad to read about your dead drive.:river

RT.

Back in MFM days. Maybe they were less sensitive. Not sure if I ever did it with IDE.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)