A newbie motorized dish elevation question - regarding WSI9036

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bellyfantx

May 30, 2011
Elgin, Tx
I read quite a lot posts across different forums and one thing that confuses me the most is the elevation setting on a motorized dish WIS9036. If I understand correctly, on the motor you set the elevation angle to be the latitude of the location,and on the dish elevation is based on the motor minus magnetic delineation. On dish WIS 9036 I don't see any degree markers on the back, how should I determine the dish elevation?

Use the latitude scale on the motor, not the elevation scale, set the latitude scale to your latitude, never change this setting,

Dish elevation is normally somewhere between 20-25 degrees, this is never pre-determined, it varies from dish to dish depending on the offset, you need to fine tune it when aiming at your southern most satellite

Mikey11, Thanks for the reply. I think my questions is say if I know my dish elevation is 25, but there is no 25 degree scale on the back of the dish for WSI9036...

The dish has sort of a scale. You can see increments(lines) thru a small triangle shaped opening in the bracket. The are not labled though. One of the real drawbacks of this dish, especially for beginners.

If you use USALS and set the MOTOR BRACKET latitude correctly, just let the receiver move the dish to any satellite you have line of sight to, and slowly move the dish up and down, east and west until you get a quality reading.

Mikey11, Thanks for the reply. I think my questions is say if I know my dish elevation is 25, but there is no 25 degree scale on the back of the dish for WSI9036...

you dont need to know where 25 degrees is on the dish....just move it slowly up and down in the same way you would aiming a stationary dish manually until you get the best possible signal quality....

Setting a dish elevation without having a scale is frustrating and is not as easy as other posters are suggesting!

Contact the reseller and ask for the offset angle of the dish. Once you know the offset angle of the dish, use this information to determine the elevation angle of the dish.

Remove the dish from the motor and temporarily mount on perfectly plumb and level post. Place a straight edge with an angle finder on the face of the dish, laying the straight edge on the dish edges of the vertical plane. If your motor install manual suggests that the dish angle is to be set at 25 degrees use this formula to set the face of the dish to the correct angle. 25 degrees - offset angle = actual angle. The angle finder on the face of the dish should be approximately set to this actual angle figure.

For example: Many dish models have a 24 degree offset angle. So the actual angle of a dish with a 24 degree offset angle dish on your motor would be 25 - 24 = 1 degree. In this case, the dish would be tilted back one degree!

You know will have a starting point to determine the approximate angel for your motor install. Mount the dish back onto the motor and take care to exactly align the dish (left/right) with the motor when parked in the zero (0) position.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)