Dish elevation question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mjs812

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Jupiter, FL
I found a dtv dish today looks like an 18x24 I tried to use it for G27 with no luck. The elevation for my location is 28.2, which looks really low on that dish compared to my dish next to it set at 33 for G18. Do these elevations apply to other dishes, not intended for fta?

Most of the small dishes for DirecTV, Dish Network, and FTA, all have an offset angle in the 22 to 26° range (not exactly).
So, your angle sounds roughly in the ball park.

For watching Whitesprings on 129°, I found a small dish satisfactory.
You might check the recent threads on Whitesprings, though.
Some folks are currently having difficulty.

The low encoding rate is also difficult to blind scan.
You may need to manually put in the parameters, to get their signal.

And lastly but maybe more importantly, the stock LNB on the DirecTV dish, is circular.
So it'll need to be swapped out before you'll get Whitesprings.

Do these elevations apply to other dishes, not intended for fta?[/quote]

The elevation angles are the actual angle above the horizon from your location to the position of the satellite. They are not "dedicated" by type of dish. However, as the Green One suggested, most KU dishes are "offset" meaning they appear to be pointed about 22 to 26 degrees lower than the satellite actually is. Since some offsets are different than others, two dishes from different manufaturers pointed at the same satellite may appear to be pointed in slightly different elevations.

Hope this isn't too confusing - it sounded right when I wrote it LOL....:D

mjs8 if the dish is world direct u need to skue the dish for your location in so cal its 65 for 97..if you reply with your zip i can look up the corect sku

The dish says dtv plus, it does have a skew plate. I set the skew for my zip 33458. The elevation is 28, it just looks really low, but I guess like dishdigger said not all dishes will look the same.

What technique did you use to modify it for a linear Ku LNBF? The measurements have to be the same as the original stock LNBF... Some adjustments may have to be made to place the new LNBF at the proper focal length and height.

bingo

I found a dtv dish today looks like an 18x24 I tried to use it for G27 with no luck.
The elevation for my location is 28.2, which looks really low on that dish compared to my dish next to it set at 33 for G18.
Do these elevations apply to other dishes, not intended for fta?
Okay, failure to communicate.
I made an assumption... that your new DirecTV dish was a Phase III as in my "small dish" link above.
It's not, the "Plus" is a Phase II dish as shown in the picture below.

So, as Tron asked, what sort of mod did you do to put a linear LNB on it?
Show us some pictures.
I have no doubt the dish will work, as long as the LNB is the proper type and location.

This matter of skewing the dish WILL cause you aiming confusion.
The darned thing will appear to be pointed way off in the wrong direction, and at the wrong altitude.
What I did with my Phase III dish is NOT skew the dish itself, but just the LNB it it's holder.

The alternative is to set up the dish with zero skew, and try to get it aimed correctly with a compass.
Mark the pole so you can reset the dish azimuth...
THEN, skew the dish the required number of degrees...
... and then sweep the sky looking for your bird.

edit: not my pix. Just some I found on the internet and archived.

Attachments

• DSCN0026.JPG
    DSCN0026.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 122
  • phaseIIextra.jpg
    phaseIIextra.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 126
I didn't mod the lnb holder at all, I used a linear lnb that fits the stock holder. I placed it in the center slot and skewed the dish. I think I was pointing way to far west yesterday, I noticed G18 and 27 art only 4 degree apart.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts