A piece of data for those struggling with EHD disappearing on H3.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

docdaddy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 2, 2016
Birmingham, AL
For quite some time, at least a year, I've struggled with my EHD disappearing almost every morning from my Recordings screen. It would take at least one, and sometimes several, reboots to get it to reappear. It seemed to get really bad a few updates ago, going from an occasional disappearing act in the morning, to being gone EVERY morning (with a few exceptions.) It never disappeared while watching TV no matter how late I watched, which made me suspect it was going away with the daily Hopper call home early in the morning (I think mine does that at 3 am?) I have posted about this; I have tried just about every brand and variety of EHD out there, with the exact same behavior almost every morning.

Well, after I had a problem with my Hopper 3 (which I posted about here) a month or two ago, which required the Hopper 3 to be replaced with a new one, I was surprised to see, the next morning, the EHD - the same one I've had issues with for a year - showed up in my recordings list.

And it has showed up every morning since I got the new H3. I'm still stumped as to why it would disappear every morning with my previous H3 (I'd had it slightly over 2 years when it was replaced) and the problem seems to have gone away with the new one - but I'm happy about it. But the anal retentive techie in me wonders what the difference could be. I assume the hardware is the same in both.

The only difference I can obviously see is I lost all the recordings off of my previous H3, which stayed around 70-80% full (internal HD, not the EHD) and at this point my internal HD is only back up to about 30% full. Not sure why that would impact the H3's ability to see the EHD.

Anyway, just posting so that if you're struggling with the disappearing EHD issue that I had, the only fix might be just replacing the H3. FWIW.

The disappearing EHD in the morning has been a issue since several software updates ago. Since the last S522 update on 29 August the disappearing EHD has only happened once.

Reactions: TheKrell
For me, even after that update my EHD continued to disappear, until I replaced my H3. FWIW

For some reason all Hoppers/Wally's, etc. don't behave the same even when on the same software. I've had Hopper 3's in the past that dropped the OTA channels from the guide and some that didn't. There seems to be a subset of Hoppers out there now that don't work right with OTA while most all the other ones do. As you've found out there are some that drop the EHD's often and some that don't. They each seem to have their own personalities. :)

For some reason all Hoppers/Wally's, etc. don't behave the same even when on the same software. I've had Hopper 3's in the past that dropped the OTA channels from the guide and some that didn't.
I had that happen to one Wally last year. I lost the OTA channels for almost a month before I got them back. That hasn't happened again since then.

Reactions: JSheridan
I have 3 EHDs connected to the H3's USB3 port using an USB switch. If I leave the USB's on when I go to bed , the early morning update loses 1 of the EHDs and makes the other 2 EHDs unusable by losing all the info on some of the recordings on the 2 EHDs. I bought a TrickleStar 7 Outlet Advanced PowerStrip that shuts off the EHDs when I shut off the H3 and TV at night and turns them on when I turn the H3 and TV back on. Now I have less problems. However, every so often the H3 loses info on EHD2 and EHD3 and a restart is needed to get them to work again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)