A plea to Dish Network execs.....

BobMurdoch

Playing XBoxOne SeriesX/Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
Brielle, NJ
As a high end subscriber (my bill runs over $190 a month) I'm disturbed by the lack of progress in regards to HD programming. In a month, D* has announced upcoming HD LIL coverage in the top 12 markets, added national feeds for O & O markets for ABC, Fox, and NBC, and is adding ESPN2 HD and UniversalHD.

Meanwhile the only new HD channel was TNT HD which was added 6 months ago and is made up of mostly upconverted SD content to boot.

I know that bandwidth constraints are a concern, but at the very least you need to get Fox HD up and running as the Super Bowl is less than three weeks away. I can't see Rupert Murdoch refusing to allow you to carry the channel, as it would violate the terms of the agreement which allowed him to acquire DirecTV. The only other possible solution is that you don't want to pay the fee involved, so as to not "raise our rates" as Charlie is fond of saying. Well our rates are going up anyway next month. Although not as "critical" a channel as CBS was last year at this time, you are turning your back on many of us HD early adopters who demand these HD channels. I fear that you will be relegated to an inferior position in the market if this is not addressed quickly. Right now, Cablevision has triple your HD channels and is now offering PVRs. DirecTV is leaving you in the dust as well with their announcements. I subscribed to Dish Network in 2000 because the quality and offerings were better than what I was getting from cable company. That is no longer the case.

At the very least, you need to negotiate the rights to carry the pregame and Super Bowl game on 2/6. Failure to do so will leave a bad taste in the mouth of many of your high end subscribers who are the ones most willing to pay $1000 for receivers that can receive them. I fear that many of us will not wait until 2006 for you to get Mpeg4 online. For the last 6 months you have only added local channels to extremely small markets and international channels with extremely limited appeal. I realize they are lucrative in that you can generate revenue of $5-20 a channel with them, but please realize that we existing customers who speak English and live in larger markets need something to keep us satisfied as well. A few of us have left for DirecTv having seen the writing on the wall. I beseech you to heed my warning and address these shortcomings before the churn goes from a trickle to a deluge.

Bob Murdoch
Brielle, NJ

My bill is $126 a month, I am thinking the same as you. Get what the people want or the people will get elsewhere.

i echo your words and am speaking with my wallet. my last day with dish is this coming monday. i am moving to cable for the short term and will be with direct tv when the new hd mpeg 4 receivers are out. To little to late for me.

I too are with you Bob.

I've been with Dish over 9 years and also spend more than $100 per month. I said elsewere Dish is taking a short sighted view by just adding locals and channels that have very limited viewership.

I also want Fox before Nascar starts raceing again. I spend 130.00 plus per month and still can't get the networks in HD except for my local NBC and PBS.

I'm a $110/month and are willing to switch to DTV if they add on Starz, ESPN2HD and others before dish. Or voom if they up their SD channels.

I'm at $125 avg per month + PPVs and echo the same feelings.

I also spent a lot of money last Jan to get into HD in time for the Superbowl and Dish's promise of more HD to come during 2004. Now I'm looking at the prospect of having to watch the Superbowl and Daytona 500 on my lousy local SD Fox and I am NOT A HAPPY DISH CUSTOMER !

I've been willing to give Dish the benefit of the doubt for 8 years but now have reached my limit.

If Dish could somehow get these 2 events up somehow - even if only on PPV, I'd stick it out a while longer. If not and I can qualify for Fox HD somewhere else, I'm leaving. I'm so ticked off, I may leave anyway.

Walt

empty promises

what bothers me about all of this is that they (dish network) keep stringing us along. why does this all have to be so super secret. if dish told us that they had plans to release certain hd channels and when they would do it,i would feel a lot better about the whole situation and probably not leave. i would understand the secrecy if it was a close race, but dish your in last place and you have to know this. i'm so frustrated at this point i will probably leave out of spite. i'm so tired of empty promises from dish, remember iwantmyhdtv. i sent a letter because of that to my congressman, and it only helped the people at direct tv.

Personally I have given up hope of getting FoxHD before the SuperBowl, but I will not sit thru another NFL season without having all four channels in HD (FOX, CBS, ABC, and ESPN) so I am giving E* until Aug '05 to "nearly free" upgrade me to Mpeg4 and provide HD locals.

mathius8 said:
what bothers me about all of this is that they (dish network) keep stringing us along. why does this all have to be so super secret. if dish told us that they had plans to release certain hd channels and when they would do it,i would feel a lot better about the whole situation and probably not leave.

they asked for our help in writing our political leaders for the shiva bill. they said they would have distant hd when the bill passed. direct tv has it, dish does not.

even if they told you something was going to be available, would you believe them?

The talk of Voom having 300 SD channels, along with 70 HD channels is sounding good. Though I won't switch until after Voom comes through with it. If Dish can up their HD offerings before Voom keeps their promise (supposedly March) then I will stay with Dish.

I don't have any alternative other than DTV (already done that for seven years prior to Dish) or Voom, so I am having to hold my breath a little while longer. (don't have cable, live in the country) I've been with Dish for a little over two years, and I too pay $100+ a month.

My wallet will be doing my talking also in Feb unless Dish looks to be making a move. Anoter $130/month to another provider.

I reiterate Bob Murdoch's statement.

Empty lip service by Charlie and E* programming staff with the constant broken record of 'No Compelling Content' has reached the limits of believability.

A lot of us pay our $100+ monthly service bills and all we want is what we pay for.

Taking care of customers that are willing to pay $1000.00 for a box that was released with empty promises should be the first priority. These customers along with other HD customers are the leading edge of an enormous wave in moving to the High Definition arena. If the opportunity to harness this power is missed now, there may be no recovery in the future.

It comes down to competitive content for competitive charges. E* has to come to the forefront and make a leap of faith with their customers changing High Definition viewing tastes.

If not heeded, Charlie and company can listen to the sucking sound of E* customers making the exodus to other services who are offering what they want today.

Mark_AR said:
... If not heeded, Charlie and company can listen to the sucking sound of E* customers making the exodus to other services who are offering what they want today.
Nobody's offering what I want today. VOOM doesn't have locals, the current HD offerings on D* and E* are weak, and it's all just lip service from each until I see new channels on my set.

D* was doing little to expand its service until it was taken over by News Corp.

Sorry to say I do not see things changing at Dish until some thing major happens with the management. I do not know if its Ergen or his underlings but Ergen is incharge so its up to him.

If Dish honored Bob's request for the Superbowl in HD it would at least show some good faith by Egen/Dish after all the past statements about being the "Leader in HD".

Has anyone actually talked to anyone at Dish about if there's any chance or way they could do the Superbowl in HD ? I mean regardless of copywrite laws & costs (which can be resolved), is it even possible ?

I agree this would be a big churn stopper. I bought their HD system last Jan and a lot of my decision was based on seeing the SB in HD. That might also be a big factor on whether I stay with Dish now. If I can somehow get "D" to give me Fox HD, I will probably switch.

WaltinVt

Great Post

I was a Dish subscriber at about $100 per month. I switched to D* on January 7th for all of the reasons sighted above. I even did so with the MPEG 4 announcement by D*... I just can't let another round of NFL and NBA playoffs happen without HD. Even if it costs me money if I have to upgrade receivers again, I really don't care at this point. With the deals and rebates, I purchased a TIVO, a HD receiver, and a standard receiver from Value Electronics for something like $400... if I have it for 8 months, it's the cost of two decent bottles of wine a month...

"I agree this would be a big churn stopper. "

Only for Sunday. Come MOnday, it's over and the churn will continue. A one day event does nothing to stop churn. Not when the company promises no more HD, no continued development with the 921. Broken promises on future features on the 921 like Dishwire, NBR and guide info. (Note- Guide info is now available for those who pay extra for it or those who aready pay extra for the LIL service. )

Writing's on the wall for Dish. D* is solid and expanding regularly. VOOM is an iffy company but offers the best bang for the buck in HDTV programming. Get both of them and have all you really need. Keep Dish if you like being lied to and love frustration. Or, like me, can't yet justify shelving a $1000 investment in a 921.

I plan to lower Dish from $110 per month to maybe just HD Pack to keep the receiver active for another year. Although once the VOOM DVR is out, I may drop Dish altogether. Should be worth a hundred bucks to someone by then. :(

I am heavily invested in Dishnetwork, I have the everything pack and the HD package. I also own the 921, 501, 811, 311 and 301. I have had the Family Package from Cablevision here in central New Jersey. I recently added the Scientific Atlanta 8300 DVR and have there basic HDTV package which includes INDHD, CBSHD, NBCHD, FOXHD, ABCHD, 13HD, MSGHD, FSHD, and ESPNHD. I could not get any local channels over the air. CBSHD and ESPNHD are duplicated, ie. they are on Dish and Cablevision. I did not want to get more satellite dishes installed. Therefore I opted out of a Direct TV or Voom install. I am going to leave things this way until next Fall and then evaluate who offers the most High Definition for the price. I just purchased Broadband with Cablevision. I just upgraded a six year old Gateway computer with a DEll Dimension 8400 and needed more speed. I had AOL dial up.

I don't think you can make anamorphic DVD's with the 8300 like you can with the 921. I have only been able to get a letterbox image which needs to be enlarged with the television. PQ is therefore further compromised. I have made some decent DVD's with the 921. The 8300 is a neat box and they have a long thread on the 8300 on the AVS Forum. So far I don't think any one has tried to make DVD's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts