A possible display about FTA...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blindowl1234

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
SouthWest Ohio
Ok folks I've tossed this idea around for quite a while and I need lots of input. I work in one of the largest library systems in the country. Our particular location is the 4th busiest in our system. Well just so happens we have a large glass display case in the wall. It is about 4 foot tall...2 foot deep... and 6 foot long. Items of interest are displayed for one month. I though about FTA!
Here are the issues I'd be up against. Not able to advertise vendors etc...Basically I can show what the hobby is etc...I'm stuck on how to lead them to where to get equipment...get started...without leading them directly to a pay site. Hope this makes sense. I'm thinking I could lead them to Sat Guys?....but that might be an issue...might need to be a non profit....info only site. I'm in the planning stages so I need input folks. Is it a good idea? or Not a good idea? It would be a lot of work getting it together...but it would raise awareness of our hobby...obsession etc....Thanks Blind

Ok folks I've tossed this idea around for quite a while and I need lots of input. I work in one of the largest library systems in the country. Our particular location is the 4th busiest in our system. Well just so happens we have a large glass display case in the wall. It is about 4 foot tall...2 foot deep... and 6 foot long. Items of interest are displayed for one month. I though about FTA!
Here are the issues I'd be up against. Not able to advertise vendors etc...Basically I can show what the hobby is etc...I'm stuck on how to lead them to where to get equipment...get started...without leading them directly to a pay site. Hope this makes sense. I'm thinking I could lead them to Sat Guys?....but that might be an issue...might need to be a non profit....info only site. I'm in the planning stages so I need input folks. Is it a good idea? or Not a good idea? It would be a lot of work getting it together...but it would raise awareness of our hobby...obsession etc....Thanks Blind

Sounds like a great idea. No better place than to send interested people to than the largest FTA hobbyist group in North America.

Maybe you could arrange for the system to be available for other displays in libraries, post offices, etc.

Satellite AV would be interested in providing a demo system and understand that their could be no commercial promotion.

Yes, it is a good idea. Talk to the admins here... and the library officials and see which is the best way to go. Here are my thoughts and ideas....

Non Commercial aspect> Should be no problem...this is a free site, while it has sponsors ..all the information here is free.

Maybe there is still a concern, see if the admins (or someone else) would be willing to start a generic non commercial page FTA info site ( no ads) but links pointing to Satellite Guys.

As far as a display, someone could make a simple FTA intro and how to video ... burn it to DVD and run it 24/7 in repeat mode on a inexpensive DVD player at the library. Make flyers/info sheets small pamphlets to give out explaining what FTA is and so on.

I also suggest that Satellite Guys start out own You Tube Channel on a brief intro and 'how to' with links naturally to this site. We need more how to FTA videos on You tube.

You could also mention that educational channels like those on PBS and the Research Channel are on FTA.

Thanks Brian and Bill....I've got to see what month is open for a display. Usually they place some books in the case about the hobby or a similar topic....I could always place books in there about electronics in general. Maybe Iceberg and Scott can add to these ideas too. The Dvd is a great idea I can easily cover that using Windows media player. I'm not sure but I might be able to get a 30" dish in the case too. Hmmmm. Keep the ideas coming guys....Blind

I'll add to this,...while a 30" dish may or may not fit in the display. A large poster showing the different sizes of satellite dishes (as comparison) would probably work as well. Show a Direct TV dish, then a 30" dish , 1.2 meter dish and a 6 foot dish. This would easily show people that a 30" dish isn't really not that much larger than a standard pizza dish. It would give people something as a comparison.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)