GEOSATpro A relatively minor annoyance

rzg00

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 31, 2011
California
While playing an mp4 file with the MicroHD a timer record event occurred (the CBS east feed of Elementary).
This resulted in:
1) Playback (apparently) stopping and the screen filling with the junk you get with 4:2:2 source.
2) The red led "recording" indicator showing.
3) After several presses of random keys on the remote I got back to the media player.
4) The red led "recording" indicator is still showing.
5) After re-selecting the file I was watching and fast forwarding to the point I was at, I could resume what I was watching.
6) The red led "recording" indicator is still showing.
7) After an hour or so the recording indicator went off as expected.

Looking at the disk today (a self powered Seagate USB3 drive) only the first minute or so of the recording exists (fortunately I'd also setup to record the west coast feed 3 hours later and that was fine).

Questions:
1) Is this expected behavior (I image not, but....)?
2) If I should be able to do this, can I prevent (1) from occurring (and how)?
3) If I can't prevent (1) occurring how do I get back to the file I was playing?
3) If it wasn't recording, why was the led indicator on?

The file I was playing has these characteristics and the MicroHD has the latest public firmware:
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42
File size : 315 MiB
Duration : 58mn 49s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 749 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2012-10-17 22:08:25
Tagged date : UTC 2012-10-17 22:08:25

What firmware is installed?

Because of step 3 it will be difficult to determine why the recording didn't complete.

Let us know if this happens again. If so, don't press any keys and see if the recording is made.

What firmware is installed?

Because of step 3 it will be difficult to determine why the recording didn't complete.

Let us know if this happens again. If so, don't press any keys and see if the recording is made.

Firmware version is: M3601S/128M 2012-8-20

I've just run a test, the media file I was playing was interrupted (there was a brief message indicating that a recording timer had popped) the red recording led was on, and the screen full of 4:2:2 junk with the appropriate sound track. I due time the recording ended - it was complete.

So, the real problem is that playback of my file was interrupted (and I don't know how to safely return to it).

If it matters, timeshift is off, PS record is off (what does that do?)

I just ran the test again with PS record on, same thing.

Pressing Menu allowed me to get back to the media player screen, reselect my file and fast forward to the appropriate point and resume watching. The red record led lit for the appropriate time BUT ONLY the first minute or so or the recording was made

Another test, this time with a low -fi feed instead of 4:2:2, same result

Last edited:
We typically won't troubleshoot unless the unit is running current firmware. Your microHD is running old firmware and probably should update to the newest firmware (v.11 or .12 8292012) for other firmware updates. Another firmware version should be released next week.

We will check to see if we can duplicate and advise.

PS mode records the Program Stream. TS mode records the Transport Stream. Note that the PS mode does not typically record HD programming (page 68 in the owners manual).

We typically won't troubleshoot unless the unit is running current firmware. Your microHD is running old firmware and probably should update to the newest firmware (v.11 or .12 8292012) for other firmware updates. Another firmware version should be released next week.

#$@%! - I THOUGHT I had the latest firmware - I updated to the very latest, no change.

Updating brought out another minor issue - saving and restoring the userdb didn't save/restore changes that I had made to the names of the favorite lists nor the previously programmed timer events. (Editing the favorite list names in the Ali editor has the same null effect).
I'm not sure that I expected the timer events to be saved (though that would be a bonus).

We will test and attempt to duplicate the timer DVR recording and video file playback interaction. W

May modify the video playback so that the timed event stops the file playback in the same manner that it does with stopping the DVR file playback.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)