A-Rod Wins MVP (as expected)

ScoBuck

'Just Chillin'
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 11, 2006
Long Island, NY
The only surprise is that he ONLY got 26 of 28 first place votes.

The only two first-place votes that didn't go to Rodriguez were from Tom Gage of The Detroit News and Jim Hawkins of The Oakland Press in Pontiac, Mich. Think there is any coincidence that the only two that voted for Magglilo Ordonez were from Detroit? What a sham. Magglio had a great season, NO DOUBT. But A-Rod was the MVP, also NO DOUBT.

What were they thinking?

Sometimes a writer or two decides that someone deserves to have a vote. aA i recall a Boston writer gave Jim Rice 1/2 vote a s MVP back in '75 because he he thought that Lynn should not have won both the MVP and rookie of the year by lopsided margins over Rice.

Of course if everybody did that we would have some strange MVP votes.

I guess so - and I am NOT knocking Magglio (a great player), but Detroit didn't make the playoffs - and it is pretty much widely accepted that A-Rod was a major reason the Yankees DID. If Detroit had, then he would have to be considered more worthy IMO.

I think the voters should give their vote to the person that truly deserves it - I don't believe in the waste the vote to make a point thinking.

I guess so - and I am NOT knocking Magglio (a great player), but Detroit didn't make the playoffs - and it is pretty much widely accepted that A-Rod was a major reason the Yankees DID. If Detroit had, then he would have to be considered more worthy IMO.

I think the voters should give their vote to the person that truly deserves it - I don't believe in the waste the vote to make a point thinking.

So I guess you're saying because the Tigers didn't make the playoffs, that what Maglio did wasn't very important to the Tiger's season? A-Rod won the award, and you're upset because it wasn't unanimous?

So I guess you're saying because the Tigers didn't make the playoffs, that what Maglio did wasn't very important to the Tiger's season? A-Rod won the award, and you're upset because it wasn't unanimous?

Quite frankly YES. He deserved ALL the first place votes, and to me it was proven by the fact that with the exception of the Motor City homeys HE GOT THEM. And I am not upset except that it was only the Detroit fanboys that didn't vote for him - to me that is total BS. In most years the MVP is not as clear cut as this one.

And again, that is not to take away from the GREAT season Magglio had. I also never said he was not important to the Tigers either.

So may I ask - who would you have said was the league MVP? Not the TEAM MVP.

Alot of that has to do with the obviosly biased NY media.
A-Rod is ALL you ever hear about, regardless.
Notice very little about Jeters issues with his supposive home in FLA and NY, it's all about the media pull.
I have nothing against A -Rod and yes he deserved it, but Detroit would have never been close without Maggs.

As for Tom Gage voting for Maggs, good for him, It's about time someone from somewhere other than NY or Boston gets some recognition.

Every year you get the local guy that vote against the obvious choice, this year it was from Detroit thats all, no big deal.

Jimbo

Quite frankly YES. He deserved ALL the first place votes, and to me it was proven by the fact that with the exception of the Motor City homeys HE GOT THEM. And I am not upset except that it was only the Detroit fanboys that didn't vote for him - to me that is total BS. In most years the MVP is not as clear cut as this one.

And again, that is not to take away from the GREAT season Magglio had. I also never said he was not important to the Tigers either.

Depends on how you look at it.
IF A-Rod was NOT on the Yankees this year, they would not have made 3 place let alone 1 or 2nd.
It still burns me how A-Rod got booed mercifully two years ago NO one wanted him on the team, let alone coming up to bat in a crucial spot and this past year he had a great season and all the fans are his buddys ....

I seriously wish he had went elsewhere, if he starts out slowly next year they will be booing him again and his life will be miserable again for another 10 years in NY until they unload him.

Depends on how you look at it.
IF A-Rod was NOT on the Yankees this year, they would not have made 3 place let alone 1 or 2nd.
It still burns me how A-Rod got booed mercifully two years ago NO one wanted him on the team, let alone coming up to bat in a crucial spot and this past year he had a great season and all the fans are his buddys ....

I seriously wish he had went elsewhere, if he starts out slowly next year they will be booing him again and his life will be miserable again for another 10 years in NY until they unload him.

IF a reporter has a vote in ANY of the season ending awards, I don't think he should be allowed to vote for ANY player on his home team. As much as Magglio means to the team AND as much as he had a great year....A-Rod should have won hands down...unanimously. And ANYONE who could not see by the shear numbers....should be drug tested. AND, it was not like it was a fluke year....he has consistantly put up great numbers...even with sucky Rangers and Mariners teams.

I'd have to go there. The key to value in a team sport is how much VALUE the player brings to his TEAM. Did the player have a big year? Remove him, and how would his team have done (would they have won anything)?

Ordonez had a great year. But the Tigers started hunting & fishing early this year. Take him out of the lineup and they still go home for October.

There really isn't much question that the Yankees would not have been the Wild Card without A-Rod. His VALUE to his team was clearly higher.

There really isn't much question that the Yankees would not have been the Wild Card without A-Rod. His VALUE to his team was clearly higher.

So by that logic, Mike Lowell, should be mvp?

A-rod is clearly the best player, but I believe he has never been an MVP.

A-rod is clearly the best player, but I believe he has never been an MVP.

MVP voting takes place before the playoffs. Lowell was a key player during the season but not necessarily as key as ARod. ARod by the way has won several MVPS

Not a chance. The Sox' pitching carried them to the division crown. Lowell was solid but not outstanding. He deserved the WS MVP but that's not what we're discussing. MVP is a reglar-season award.

BTW: by my logic, pitchers ought to get more consideration for MVP. If a pitcher has an outstanding year, and his team clearly would not have reached the playoffs without him, then he ought to get fair consideration. Too many writers dismiss the notion out-of-hand.

When you compare their numbers, I don't see it being so clear cut. A-Rod had the glamor numbers (HR's, RBI's), Maggs had the batting aver., OB%. How many of A-Rod's numbers were accumulated after the game was won? Maggs consistently delivered with the game on the line. I guess it comes down to what numbers you find important, and which team you support. I remember Andre Dawson winning a MVP while he played with the last place Cubs. So I guess MVP is open to interpretation.

When you compare their numbers, I don't see it being so clear cut. A-Rod had the glamor numbers (HR's, RBI's), Maggs had the batting aver., OB%. How many of A-Rod's numbers were accumulated after the game was won? Maggs consistently delivered with the game on the line. I guess it comes down to what numbers you find important, and which team you support. I remember Andre Dawson winning a MVP while he played with the last place Cubs. So I guess MVP is open to interpretation.

RBIs are NOT glamour numbers. Yes, 120 RBIs are nice looking numbers....but whne you are in the 150 range, those are just plain dominating numbers. Magglio's OB% was .434 to A-Rods 422....A-Rod's OPS 1.067 to Magglio's 1.029. YOU say he consistantly delivered when the game was on the line because you saw all the games either live or TV, how do you know A-Rod didn't? HE SINGLED handedly carried the team to the playoffs....Magglio could not.

....AND, A-Rod had these gaudy numbers in 15 less at-bats.

RBIs are NOT glamour numbers. Yes, 120 RBIs are nice looking numbers....but whne you are in the 150 range, those are just plain dominating numbers. Magglio's OB% was .434 to A-Rods 422....A-Rod's OPS 1.067 to Magglio's 1.029. YOU say he consistantly delivered when the game was on the line because you saw all the games either live or TV, how do you know A-Rod didn't? HE SINGLED handedly carried the team to the playoffs....Magglio could not.

....AND, A-Rod had these gaudy numbers in 15 less at-bats.

First off, 2 hands are better than 1. Secondly, I'm sure his teammates might have had something to do with the Yankee's success. Of course if he single-handedly carried them into the playoffs, then he single-handledly didn't get them to the world series, again. :D
Quit flip-flopping about this guy Salsa. Until this thread , I don't recall you saying anything positive about him.