A simple installation question

riga

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
I have a long run with a couple of splices from dish to receiver. Yes I know I shouldn't splice but I'm using a cabling system that was built into the house and using it really makes for a clean install.

We normally get all transponders (BEV) but some are in the high 40s and we lose them occasionally. Question is this: Does it help to boost the signal between the dish & receiver? In other words, if I add a signal booster will the receiver diagnostic screen show a higher signal strength?

Thanks in advance!

I have a long run with a couple of splices from dish to receiver. Yes I know I shouldn't splice but I'm using a cabling system that was built into the house and using it really makes for a clean install.

We normally get all transponders (BEV) but some are in the high 40s and we lose them occasionally. Question is this: Does it help to boost the signal between the dish & receiver? In other words, if I add a signal booster will the receiver diagnostic screen show a higher signal strength?

Thanks in advance!

Can you install or have installed connectors and couplers instead of splicing?
It will make for better signal transfer.

Is the cable built into the house RG6 or RG59 cable?
RG6 is required especially for the long run that you mention.

You mention that some transponders are low readings, perhaps they are all on the same satellite and just needs a dish adjustment off one satellite and more onto the other satellite. Different things can cause your problem. I have started you out with some things anyway.

Is there any way you can connect one of the recievers to the cable at the first splice point? That way you can make sure it's a cabling problem and not a dish alignment/LOS issue. Even if you have to temporarily move a tv to wherever it all comes in. The other question would be are all the cables in the house "home run"? That is each and every outlet run with a single cable back to one "junction point" in the house such as a furnace or electrical room. If there are any splitters in the cable path at all that could be a source of concern.........well it would almost certainly be a source of concern.

Oh and to properly answer the question you asked, probably not. I've seen runs of RG6 almost 300' long and while it's not advisable, it did work. I don't know that I've ever used a signal booster in 10+ years of installing "pizza pans".

Thanks for the responses. Intuitively I would not think a booster would help in this instance but wanted to get some input from others.

Inno, you say splitters in the cable probably would be a problem. I do have splices - meaning cable connector fittings + a male-to-male fitting - at 2 locations. But would this cause the on-screen signal strength meter to show a lower signal than if I had a "home run"? I guess what I need to do to get a solid answer to the question is do what you suggest & move the receiver closer to the dish and compare % signal strengths.

My suggestion would be to first get a length of RG6 cable with no splices etc. to run temoprarily from the dish to the reciever to see if that improves your problem.
I've been in houses where cable was once the source and they had splitters buried in walls with the outputs of those splitters being split again.......the signal doesn't stand a chance in these cases. Similarly if there are two many splices in the cable, that could cause signal loss issues too.

I'd first try either a temporary rg6 cable with no splices........go from there.

Complete loss of signal

*C in Arizona

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts