A very exciting FTA install for me this weekend...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Nice install, Davage

. . . people usually think of t.v. as frivolous . . .
Good point. When we go from 200 to 400 to 800 channels, we tend to forget how it was when there was no TV, then they put in that first station 40 miles away!
Happend to me when I was a kid in Florida (probably the last place in the US to get TV). - :rolleyes:

Likewise, your friends took a leap from a few snowy channels off rabbit ears, to dozens of channels, all with a clear picture. - :eek:

I do chuckle though, at one thing.
The home owners wouldn't let 'em put up a pole or tower for a TV antenna... but didn't mind you installing a dish on the house.
That's just funny. - :D

I do chuckle though, at one thing.
The home owners wouldn't let 'em put up a pole or tower for a TV antenna... but didn't mind you installing a dish on the house.
That's just funny. - :D

Yes.. I didn't understand the logic either. They had permission for the dish, but couldn't put up a tower... The house is out in the country as well. It's not like they're in the city as part of a townhouse complex.

Good work.......Probably a little late now but if you, or anyone else in a similar situation needs some parts I have a few available.
I would most definitely be doing that for a family in need, more people should get on board not just with satellite, but any special skill they may have to help.

Davage
I know this is an old thread but just wondering if there was any update on the setup? Is it still working? Did you add a 2nd dish for 125?

Davage, what an amazing story and gesture. My hat's off to ya :hatsoff:. May God bless you AND the family you're trying to help so much.

As for the OTA, there is a video on this site that showed how to make an OTA out of a piece of wood, a few screws, and six coathangers. It's an ugly rascal but works quite well. I built one and was so impressed, I built a second one. I have one standing on end BEHIND a dresser, against the wall and it gets an awesome signal. I haven't located the video posting yet, but I'll keep trying and will post it, or maybe someone here knows where it is and will post it. It was here about two months ago.

Best to you & prayers go out to the girl & family.....

Bill

Hi Guys, I still haven't got a dish pointed at 125 yet for Montana PBS. I had hoped initially to use 1 reflector to catch both birds, but with the 2 degree spacing it was an impossibility.

I ended up getting too busy with work and my father-in-law passed away too - that took up all of my time and I didn't get out to do the 2nd dish.

With the equity channels being in question, I'm trying to decide what to do next for the family. I've also read that Montana PBS may be losing it's satellite funding.

The family is very appreciative of the Galaxy 18 channels.

I have to do some planning on what to do when the Galaxy 18 channels go away.. I'll have to get over to their place to do a site survey to see if a motorized dish is even a possibility.

So... For right now - there is no update.

The weather has warmed up here nicely. I'm getting in the mood for some FTA projects though!

Dishdigger - I've started to build one of those coat-hanger tv antennas, just to see how it works :) I might end up building one for the family too.. With 2 young children of my own, it takes me a bit longer to get some simple projects completed.. (Especially when the kids are running away with the pieces of wire that I've cut and bent)

Dishdigger - I've started to build one of those coat-hanger tv antennas, just to see how it works :) I might end up building one for the family too.. With 2 young children of my own, it takes me a bit longer to get some simple projects completed.. (Especially when the kids are running away with the pieces of wire that I've cut and bent)

Hey David let me know how it works out. I have a brand new deep fringe UHF Yagi collecting dust that I may install with a rotor this summer for DX'ing OTA digital. I know though a few people who could benefit from a good coat hanger antenna :)

Davage,

That was really a very generous and awesome gesture to that family! Even if TV may be considered a luxury, it is important to have access to the news and weather issues as well as being a mental release, especially under such trying times as that family has been going through.

I must commend you and all those who chipped in with donations and equipment to get this project accomplished.

Even though people like us may not be Doctors, Radiologists, Ministers, Priests, Lawyers or something like that, it doesn't mean that we cannot give of ourselves and provide something of value to help out in our own way. Every little bit of help that people in these situations receive is a blessing to them in some manner or way.

And, as always, the Lord works in mysterious ways. So you never know what one little act of kindness may result in.

Dave, I certainly do thank you! And everyone else who pitched in to assist you! To all of you, here is a fond handshake, a sincere hug and a teary eye for a really great story!

I said something to this effect just the other day... "There are very good people here on this forum!" Now I really know that with no doubts! :)

Gordy

(AcWxRADAR)

Even if TV may be considered a luxury, it is important to have access to the news and weather issues as well as being a mental release, especially under such trying times as that family has been going through.

That's exactly what I thought. The parents spend hours upon hours worrying every day about their wonderful little girl. They NEED a mental escape every now and again.

I can't seem to figure out again how to cut just a portion for a quote, but anyway, I take it that you found the information on the OTA. Like I said, it's an ugly rascal, but impressive for a half-dozen coathangers ;).

Great to see that Davage!

You and the other guys that gave to this project have my respect! You guys that chipped in to this are commended as well! I realize this is an old post with recent follow-up responses but you guys did a good thing here!

We take so many things for granted and it is good to see they are people out there who care and are willing to give for someone that needs! Very well done guys! :up :up :up

I just stumbled onto this thread and could not just not say nothing!

You guys done a great thing there! Very noticed!

This is one reason why The Satellite Guys is the best Satellite info place online! It’s Members!
:hatsoff: :bow

K E V I N
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)