A very interesting problem finding XM reciever ID in a 2007 Chevy Silverado.

n1wbd

Silent Key - RIP 1/2/2012
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Grafton,NH
Can someone possibly answer this question?? My brother has a 2007 Chevy Silverado with factory AM/FM/XM stereo with CD.(Chevrolet Option #US8) He has been trying to find the XM ID so he can call and subscribe. However when he pushes the Band switch to switch bands to XM it does not come up at all just AM and FM. We have followed the instructions according to the Chevy manual and have confirmed this on various Chevy websites.

He has called his local Chevy dealer and they tell him for $300 they will pull the radio out of the dash and get the number off the sticker on the back?? A stereo shop has told him the same thing.

This sounds like BS in this day and age you would think there would a hidden code or something to force the radio to bring up the id number.

Any info would be appreciated.
Bob

Does the radio have a sat/aux button? If the truck equipped with a sat receiver (not xm ready, meaning that you would have to buy the receiver separately) you will receive a couple of xm channels.

The radio ID should be on channel zero or one assuming you can get the band switched over to sat.

Is the vehicle still under warranty?

No it's not but every piece of info I have read on the Chevy site insists that XM is there in that radio heck the truck even has the antenna on the roof for it. When the CAT button it says xm only feature. But won't switch over to XM mode when you hit band switch.

Bob

I work at a Cadillac dealership. A Sliverado and Escalade are basically the same. First, make sure the truck came equiped with a facotory installed XM tuner. Some vehicles did not have the tuner installed. The tuner id should show on channel 0. If not it could be that the truck does not have an original factory XM tuner installed. Or it could be a tuner, radio, communication or electrical problem. To get the factory installed (if equiped) XM tuner to work, it coulc get expensive.

I work at a Cadillac dealership. A Sliverado and Escalade are basically the same. First, make sure the truck came equiped with a facotory installed XM tuner. Some vehicles did not have the tuner installed. The tuner id should show on channel 0. If not it could be that the truck does not have an original factory XM tuner installed. Or it could be a tuner, radio, communication or electrical problem. To get the factory installed (if equiped) XM tuner to work, it might get expensive. Go the aftermarket way if it does.

If you can't get from am/fm to xm that means the xm tuner isn't installed or is not working. you will get the preview channel even when its not activated. I would check the original window sticker and see if its actually listed as an installed option.

Agreed. Just because the radio itself is XM ready doesn't mean it has the XM tuner. XM is a dealer option. It is also possible the original owner had a lifetime sub and yanked the tuner for their new vehicle. On most vehicles the tuner is behind the glove box. Open the box and release the stop tabs, and you should either see the tuner box, or the plugs where it used to be. If there is a box there, it may be malfunctioning. If there is no box, order a tuner through your dealer, or install an XM Direct with the GM adapter.

My 2007 Silverado had after market XM installed by a local radio shop suggested by the dealer when the truck was new. My XM worked fine until about a month ago. One day I pressed a preset XM station and the radio stayed on FM. My radio no longer recognized my XM stations and would not go to any XM station. The shop that installed the aftermarket XM receiver told me the receiver had gone bad. I bought new receiver, called XM and had receiver ID changed but unfortunately that was not the problem. I am guessing that either my radio has a problem or I have a wiring harness problem. A different radio shop did tell me it could be the aftermarket XM interface adapter. I am guessing my next step is to pull radio and have it tested.

The dealership will only diagnose the radio and not the XM tuner or interface. They are concidered non-factory and we (techs) are not trained or have the equipment to diagnose non-factory equipment. The dealer will only diagnose up to the factory radio, not the tuner interface and other aftermarket installed equipment.

Take your truck to the radio shop and have them do the diagnosis on the XM tuner, interface and anything else they installed that is connected to the radio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)