Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
A lot has changed over my house over the past year, the biggest of them being the fact that two 150 Foot Pine Trees in my front yard were taken down.

Because of this and the fact that the trucks needed to get to the trees I had to take all my dishes down in the front yard which were pole mounted in the middle of the lawn.

My wife really didnt like all the dishes on the front lawn so I found a place where I could see all the satellites I needed yet the dishes can not be seen from the road. I found a place on the side of the house twards the back,

In addition since I didn't need or use the 2 Dishes on my roof I took those down as well. (They were both pointed at 61.5, one for VOOM and the other for Dish Network)

Up until 2 week ago you could not see any dishes driving by my house but that changed as my wife let me get a 1.2 meter dish for fathers day. I wanted this dish as I needed one I could move and also I wanted to experament with the Microbud C/KU Setup. The new 1.2 meter Dish now lies where one of the 150 foot tall pine trees once stood. This is a EXCELLENT location I can see from 129 all the way over to 22 degrees (and I havent actually tried going further over) I can see the entire arc, so I am very happy with that. :D

Ok anyways on the side of my house you will notice I have 4 Dishes.

The one with the Flag on it is pointed at Dish Network, the 119 and 110 locations(BTW the Flag cover was sent to me by Del at Skyvision / DishSkinz.COM)

The ExpressVu Dish is pointed at... yup ExpressVu at 91 and 82. The other Dish 500 with 1 LNB is pointed at 61.5 and the Fortec Dish on the bottom is pointed at G10R. I actually dedicated this Fortec dish just to this great satellite. :)

Anyways here are the pics. :)

Attachments

• dishfarm1.jpg
    dishfarm1.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 354
  • dish1.jpg
    dish1.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 238
  • dish2.jpg
    dish2.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 296
The G10R Dish the LNB is actually touching the ground.

BTW all the "weeds" need the dish are not weeds at all, that is MINT!

We had a problem with Spiders (I HATE SPIDERS) and we were told to make them go away plant Mint around the foundation of the house.

I am happy to say IT WORKS! (However that MINT loves to spread all over the place! But no spiders so I am happy.)

What kind of mint?

We have a pretty good dog-treats recipe that uses mint flakes. Those things are danged expensive, we need to start growing our own :D But this is the only thing we have found that will get rid of that distinctive "dead fish breath" odor.

Fix the roof after unmounting the dish

Scott, How did you fix the roof after you take dish off?

Pepper said:
What kind of mint?

We have a pretty good dog-treats recipe that uses mint flakes. Those things are danged expensive, we need to start growing our own :D But this is the only thing we have found that will get rid of that distinctive "dead fish breath" odor.

My little Bichon loves mint treats. I would appreciate it if you can pm the recipe. LOL@this topic going from satellite to dog treats.

I used some kind of Roofing Silicone stuff. Luckily each dish only had 2 screws each put into place (We had our roof redone last year and the roofer put the dishes back on the roof when we told him not to)

Scott,

Thanks for the tip on the mint! It's amazing what you can learn here at Satelliteguys! I was just told today at work that bees don't like mint either. Since bees like dishes (or, at least, hollow masts) and I don't like bees, I may try some mint just for that reason.

I wish I had better LOS myself. I have huge evergreens in the back yard, so the only way to get signal up here in Rochester, NY (not MN, where everyone else seems to be from around here lately) was to put the dishes on the roof of the back porch. Better on that little roof than on the one that covers the rest of the house, but not really where I wanted to put them (Fortec & DireTV PhaseIII). When I said to the wife, "Honey, I could put a 30' pole in the back yard....." I got "that look" from her and decided it would be better to mangle the porch roof instead.

Ah, what we do to keep the peace at home:)

Cheers,
Hantu

I have had to fix a few holes in my roof (not from dishs, from a person who was too handy to ever be allowed to hold a hammer) and here is how i do it. I use a galvanized lag bolt that is larger diameter than the hole and drive it in. I then cover the whole bolt head and an area approx 3" around the hole with roofing tar. I have a couple of repairs that are 6 years old and no leaking yet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)