ABC HD in DFW Market

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tim1970

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
Is there any way that I can get ABC HD through Direct Tv? I live 70 miles from the broadcast towers, so OTA is out of the question. I of course have been denied waivers from WFAA, even though I was granted waivers on all other stations. And wouldn't you know abc is the one station not offered through DirectTv mpeg 4 :mad:

Any options left?

thanks

Tim

Upgraded to MPEG4, D* is offering Dallas locals over their satellites

What is your zip code? Why is OTA out of the question? Being 70 miles out doesn't preclude you, nor can a local government or HOA keep you from putting up the antenna. I know people almost 90 miles out that can receive. You just need the proper antenna. As far as DirecTV not having them (WFAA-DT 8 ) on MPEG4 yet; call and complain to WFAA to sign a deal with DirecTV to add it ASAP.

Channel Master CM 3671
Channel Master CM 4242
Winegard HD 8200P
Winegard PR 7052

add a Winegard AP 8275 or Channel Master CM 7777 pre-amp

Last edited:
charper1 said:
What is your zip code? Why is OTA out of the question? Being 70 miles out doesn't preclude you, nor can a local government or HOA keep you from putting up the antenna. I know people almost 90 miles out that can receive. You just need the proper antenna. As far as DirecTV not having them (WFAA-DT 8 ) on MPEG4 yet; call and complain to WFAA to sign a deal with DirecTV to add it ASAP.

Channel Master CM 3671
Channel Master CM 4242
Winegard HD 8200P
Winegard PR 7052

add a Winegard AP 8275 or Channel Master CM 7777 pre-amp

I live in Slidell (76234). Which is about 12 miles northeast of Decatur. I live in the middle of nowhere, so there is absolutely no restrictions to putting up an antenna. I just thought that maximum range for an antenna was about 60 miles. I will have to check out the suggestions above.

dodge said:
charper, did you get a winegard hd8200p?

Sorry Dodge, I thoughy my signature line was showing (wasn't for a while after the board upgrade) I use a Winegard HD9095P with no pre-amp.

tim1970 said:
Is there any way that I can get ABC HD through Direct Tv? I live 70 miles from the broadcast towers, so OTA is out of the question. I of course have been denied waivers from WFAA, even though I was granted waivers on all other stations. And wouldn't you know abc is the one station not offered through DirectTv mpeg 4 :mad:

Any options left?

thanks

Tim
I'm in a similar situation, just a little farther away. In an email conversation I had with WFAA staff regarding DirecTV, I was told that I was outside of their grade B signal, and should readily qualify for a waiver. But when I applied through DirecTV for the waiver, I was turned down. I'm now trying to work directly with WFAA to see what can be done.

I'm in a similar situation, just a little farther away. In an email conversation I had with WFAA staff regarding DirecTV, I was told that I was outside of their grade B signal, and should readily qualify for a waiver. But when I applied through DirecTV for the waiver, I was turned down. I'm now trying to work directly with WFAA to see what can be done.

The only people that could deny that ABC waiver wouyld be WFAA themselves (DirecTV neither approves or denies) or another close by ABC affiliate that lays claim to you. What is your zip? It is all handled by that.

I'm in zip 75754. I'm actually closer to Tyler, but for whatever reason, we're considered to be in the DFW market. I didn't mean to suggest that DirecTV turned me down on the waiver. But when I contacted DirecTV about the process for requesting a waiver, they told me they'd contact WFAA on my behalf.

I'd like to work directly through WFAA since they were the ones that told me that I should qualify. I'd really be just as happy if WFAA and DirecTV would work out their differences. I just want to get ABC in HD.

MurphieNB said:
I'm in zip 75754. I'm actually closer to Tyler, but for whatever reason, we're considered to be in the DFW market. I didn't mean to suggest that DirecTV turned me down on the waiver. But when I contacted DirecTV about the process for requesting a waiver, they told me they'd contact WFAA on my behalf.

I'd like to work directly through WFAA since they were the ones that told me that I should qualify. I'd really be just as happy if WFAA and DirecTV would work out their differences. I just want to get ABC in HD.

They do that because as I understand it, that is the law and supposd to be the ONLY way to get it done. Let me test your zip and be right back.

EDIT:

sure enough I bet money its the below affiliate denying you.. GOD I hate the NAB and the affiliate setup! END IT FCC!

KLTV-DT 7.1 ABC TYLER TX 66° 26.9

But if I'm in considered to be in the DFW market, at least as far as DirecTV is concerned, why would another market be allowed to deny the waiver?

You sir have asked the $1M question that kills us all (or most of us) and really makes me BURN! I HATE, yes hate, the NAB and the affiliate system; it is an illegal monopoly per each DMA. In this day an age it is time for their demise.

I agree with charper1, I think your problem is with KLTV in Tyler. Only D* can verify that for you. If you still have problems and cannot resolve them with WFAA, KLTV and D*, PM me and I'll hook you up with someone at KLTV who can help you.

I grew up in Anderson County which is app. the same distance from the Dallas/Ft. Worth antenna farm as you are. Have you tried an old fashioned directional VHF/UHF antenna to see if you can pick up the WFAA signal OTA?

MurphieNB said:

I'm located in Palestine and I requested a station waiver request from WFAA through DirecTv via email last week so that I could receive the ABC-HD east coast feed. Today I checked ch. 86 and lo and behold there it is. I'm guessing that my waiver request has been granted. When I submitted my request to DirecTv, they stated that I would receive a post card from them within a month stating whether my request had been granted or denied.

I believe WFAA broadcasts HD on VHF, which somewhat limits it's effective range.
I get Fox, CBS, and NBC just fine, but I believe they transmit on a different frequency band.

I'm in McKinney (about 60 miles NOrth of the tower) and I can't get WFAA either.

tds4182 said:
I agree with charper1, I think your problem is with KLTV in Tyler. Only D* can verify that for you. If you still have problems and cannot resolve them with WFAA, KLTV and D*, PM me and I'll hook you up with someone at KLTV who can help you.

I grew up in Anderson County which is app. the same distance from the Dallas/Ft. Worth antenna farm as you are. Have you tried an old fashioned directional VHF/UHF antenna to see if you can pick up the WFAA signal OTA?

I don't understand how markets are assigned. We only live about 20 miles West of Tyler, but for whatever reason are considered to be part of the DFW market. I'm not complaining. By being part of that market, we had "local" programming long before we would have it by being part of the Tyler market.

As for the antenna, I do have a simple antenna in the attic, and can't receive any DFW signal. But I do get unbelievably clear reception for KLTV in Tyler. So you might ask, why am I so concerned about getting the waiver? It's now just the principle of the thing.

I contacted WFAA again, and they said that they have no record of DirecTV applying. So now I've gone back to DirecTV asking them for more information. If they tell me that KLTV blocked it, then I'll have to live with it.

As said many times before, distance and common sense play little part into who claims you in their DMA. As you can see in the maps Edom is in Van Zandt County which is claimed by the DFW DMA. Unfortunate, but thats how it is. As far as an antenna to pull the DFW local OTA, you will need a fringe VHF/UHF combo with a pre-amp

1. TYLER/LONGVIEW/LUFKIN/NACOGDOCHES DMA Map

2. DFW DMA Map

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)