About done with Directv - any suggestions?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kyleorton

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
Wisconsin
I've had continuous issues with my HR34 and every one they have sent to replace it. It freezes or slows down when changing channels, scrolling through the menu and it's often impossible to rewind or fast forward. If I try to direct dial a channel, it won't respond to the input and a few seconds later I'll have 4747 typed in and have to start all over again.

I've gone through 3 replacements spaced apart every few months or so. I've gotten to the point I'm tired of even scheduling recordings and customizing the channel guide. I ask for a different receiver model, but they send me the same type and it has the same problems either right away or after a couple weeks.

I'm thinking of cutting the cord, but wondered if there's a way to get this solved once and for all. Thanks for any input.

Call them again, say the box is hanging up and ask for an HR44. Under a recent policy change you should not have any problem getting one. Tell them you won't accept another HR34

Reactions: bmetelsky
That's not how it works. There is no linear 4K yet so all you need is a C61K and you normally have to pay for that. Maybe later this year when 4K linear becomes available, there will be some sort of special upgrade.

Go thru the steps D* wants you to when your on the phone (even though you've probably already done these) then once they see whats going on, they will want to send a tech out to the Service address ... at that point when the tech is there, he'll see what it is doing and replace it with a HR44, if he trys to give you a 34, tell him that you've gone that route already with no luck.
Chances are he'll only have 44's on the truck anyways.

A truck roll shouldn't be necessary. They're shipping out 44s, shove the 34 back in the box and send it back. They are finally doing the right thing.

He's already had 3 units "sent" to him ... all 34's apparently.

Yes, but all before the change in the last week. From what I understand, all warehouses that have 34s have an order to ship them back. No 34s are going out. The only thing they can do to kill it more is to contact current customers with one instead of waiting for them to call.

Mine arrives tomorrow.

Yes, but all before the change in the last week. From what I understand, all warehouses that have 34s have an order to ship them back. No 34s are going out. The only thing they can do to kill it more is to contact current customers with one instead of waiting for them to call.

Mine arrives tomorrow.
I have yet to see a HR34 in the warehouse here.

I don't think it really matters what a CSR says. I had one tell me once they couldn't even guarantee I'd get a Genie at all. So as long as they process the replacement, it'll work.

But they really all should have read the memo by now.

I don't think it really matters what a CSR says. I had one tell me once they couldn't even guarantee I'd get a Genie at all. So as long as they process the replacement, it'll work.

But they really all should have read the memo by now.
Nah, the CSR are the Last to know.

I'm being told it's a known issue and they won't allow a free replacement. The person I'm speaking to doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

Is this a bad employee or does DirecTV really have a policy that they won't replace equipment that they know is bad?

I'm being told it's a known issue and they won't allow a free replacement. The person I'm speaking to doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

Is this a bad employee or does DirecTV really have a policy that they won't replace equipment that they know is bad?

I find tech support is much easier if your box is simply no longer powering on, and you tried a different power cable, outlet, and checked breaker.

We've heard several reports that replacements are now shipping HR44 only. I don't know if I'd call it a policy, but it is certainly a shift from what was previously seen, and would likely be good odds based on the info we've seen posted in the past few days.

So I just hung up and called back to get someone else. A very different experience. She confirmed that they are indeed aware the HR34s are garbage and are replacing them all with newer models. She took care of me and waived the $19.xx return charge too. Hopefully this is the improvement I'm looking for!

So I just hung up and called back to get someone else. A very different experience. She confirmed that they are indeed aware the HR34s are garbage and are replacing them all with newer models. She took care of me and waived the $19.xx return charge too. Hopefully this is the improvement I'm looking for!

HR44 is very different. In fact, you'll have to take out the styrofoam of the box to put the 34 in. Much faster as well. Only "downside" really is that if you use RF, you must use the new remote. For IR, your current remote is fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts