About the Voom Channels, Seriously

FlyingJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Bexley, Ohio
I am wondering, and this is no stab at the Voom package, but I am curious. Would you folks that really like Voom, still watch the channels if they were only in SD? I think that when I hear the arguments about content I wonder if the answers are really about content at all?

I would ... there are many things on the VOOM channels that I can't find elsewhere. For me that includes the films on FilmFest, La Liga and CFL Football (although ComCast SportsNet does include some later in the week), the odd Kung fu movie and documentary on Equator. I would say my viewing of those is as selective as the other 200 odd channels out there. They would fit as well as all my other selections in SD

I will not watch anything that it is SD. I think the big question is what is that you watch right now.

For example

NHL HD, I watch "NADA".
NFL HD, I watch "NADA".
A&E HD, I watch "NADA".
TNT&HD, I watch "NADA".
PPV HD, I watch "NADA".
FOOD HD, I watch "NADA".
HGTVHD, I watch "NADA".
MHD, I watch "NADA".
TBS HD, I watch "NADA".
TLC HD, I watch "NADA".
UNIVERSAL HD, I watch "NADA".
BTN HD, I watch "NADA".
GOLF/Versus HD, I watch "NADA".

AND If I had the following:

BRAVO HD, I will watch "NADA".
FX HD, I will watch "NADA".
CNN HD, I will watch "NADA".
CNBC HD, I will watch "NADA".
Fox Business HD, I will watch "NADA".
Weather Channel HD, I will watch "NADA".
Fuel HD, I will watch "NADA".
Speed HD, I will watch "NADA".

All the others I will find something to watch...

I will not watch anything that it is SD. I think the big question is what is that you watch right now.

For example

NHL HD, I watch "NADA".
NFL HD, I watch "NADA".
A&E HD, I watch "NADA".
TNT&HD, I watch "NADA".
PPV HD, I watch "NADA".
FOOD HD, I watch "NADA".
HGTVHD, I watch "NADA".
MHD, I watch "NADA".
TBS HD, I watch "NADA".
TLC HD, I watch "NADA".
BTN HD, I watch "NADA".

Ummm, so that would be a "no".:p

I find it interesting that close to half of the people that say that they would live without the VOOM channels are in fact DISH customers.

I like Rave, HDNews and Trasures HD. Those are the only ones I watch regularlly.

I use to like Anamania when they had the classic (Roger Ramjet, Felix the Cat, old time cartoons...) but I can stand the cartoons they are on there now.

I probably wouldn't watch them, because I rarely watch anything in SD anymore, except for my must-sees (Stargate, BSG, Burn Notice, 4400, Eureka). Pretty soon, I hope, I won't have to watch anything in SD (hint, hint, Dish!).

To me, Voom has some nice content, because it is in HD.

We each have our own personal taste, I appreciate having the Voom channels 24/7 HD!
I can do without news and weather in HD, just my personal taste.

I don't really care if the news is in HD or not (most of VOOMS HD news, is still pictures and not HD video) I just like their news format. All the days news in 12 minutes. :)

I would ... there are many things on the VOOM channels that I can't find elsewhere. For me that includes the films on FilmFest, La Liga and CFL Football (although ComCast SportsNet does include some later in the week),

When have you ever seen CFL Coverage live on Voom? Anytime I flipped on WorldSport the game was atleast two weeks old or olderIf you really want the CFL coverage you might as well get BellExpressVu or Star Choice!

You're right - but like most people if your options are limited you go with what you can get.

Sorry - I don't mean to switch the topic ...

I think the hypothetical question, "Would you folks that really like Voom, still watch the channels if they were only in SD?" is irrelevant because it's an HD only channel with no simulcast. While I watch several of the VOOM channels on a regular basis like Monsters, Filmfest, WorldCinema, Rave, Family and Equator, I rarely watch SD. I agree with Sean Mota, I watch none of those channels now either and, other than maybe Smithsonian or some of the premium movie channels that D* has added, I could care less about many of the other new not-so HD channels that D* has added too, even the beloved SciFi channel. I think the quality content on VOOM speaks for itself.

For example

NHL HD, I watch "NADA".
NFL HD, I watch "NADA".
A&E HD, I watch "NADA".
TNT&HD, I watch "NADA".
PPV HD, I watch "NADA".
FOOD HD, I watch "NADA".
HGTVHD, I watch "NADA".
MHD, I watch "NADA".
TBS HD, I watch "NADA".
TLC HD, I watch "NADA".
BTN HD, I watch "NADA".

You don't know what your missing! FX HD would be great! The Shield, Damages, Dirt, Rescue Me, Nip/Tuck... To get all of those in HD would be awsome! FX has some really great shows on it, so I can't WAIT to get it in HD!

Also, TNT HD is great! They have a couple good shows, but the miniseries events that they put on are usually pretty good. The Company, for example, was an amazing miniseries, and I'm glad I had TNT HD to watch it.

NFL HD is nice for NFL Replay (condensed version of the weeks games) as well as for some of the specials they have, and don't forget Thursday Night Football later in the season!

My wife watches a couple shows on TLC, but so far they're just upconverted, so that doesn't really matter yet.

MHD has some good concerts and specials occasionally.

Universal HD has the repeats of FIREFLY in HD!!! That alone (and the replays of BG in HD) are worth it! Oh, and occasionally they play a decent movie on UHD.

As for the other channels, I'll occasionally watch something on one of those channels just because it's in HD if there's nothign else on...

I find myself watching much more TV these days than I used to, and partly because of HD and definately because of my DVR...

As for the VOOM HD channels... If they weren't in HD I probably wouldn't watch them...

Last edited:
The channels I watch regularly on Voom, I would watch in SD. That would be the movie channels and Rave.

The other channels, I tune in occasionally, but wouldn't if they weren't HD. Rush is a good example. I never watch any sports channels, but I will click on Rush every once in a while.

Funny that when people talk about voom they only list a few channels and don't talk about the 13 other channels. If voom is that good Dish would not have made it manditory for HD subscribers. I think Dish knew voom channels would die if they did not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)