About to get Dish, have a few questions

silent1

Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Hi all, I want to thank you all up front for the amazing community you have here. What a great place to get information and help.

I currently have Cox cable and am about to jump ship for Dish. There are 2 HD tvs in my house. Where can I find a detailed list of the receivers available and their specifications. I'm pretty sure that I want a 722 for on tv, but I don't know what to get for the other one.

My other question is do you have to have a phone line plugged into the receiver? Or can you use ethernet? I don't have a land line at home, we just use our cells.

Thanks again for the help guys!

DISH Network -- Dish HD

The 622 and 722 can connect via ethernet and in the future there are plans to let you set timers via your networked computer. They have also just added the option of allowing you to connect a harddrive to your 622 or 722 to build your own archive.

If you will be getting your HD locals from the 129 sat, depending on where you live, you may want to request a second 500 dish aimed just at it.

I don't know what your budget is or what deals are being offered but I could make a case that even though it is a lot of equipment you might want to get two 622/722's for the following reasons:

I believe right now they are the only ethernet receivers so any other receiver would need a phone line hookup or a $5.00 monthly charge for not being so connected.

With the USB drive option you can let one drive save *or move* shows from boh DVRs.

And if you haven't seen the specs yet, while both the 622 and 722 can record 2 HD programs there is only *ONE* HD output. A second TV can view any SD or HD program or saved program it only gets an SD signal.

With 2 HD DVRs it is possible for you to view 4 different channels at one time with 2 in HD and 2 in SD. Of course you didn't mention if the 2 HDTVs are the only TVs in the house or just the only HDTVs.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I've got 2 HD tvs and 2 SD tvs.

I'm planning on getting a 722, is a 622 as a second receiver more expensinve than say a 222?

I'm planning on getting a 722, is a 622 as a second receiver more expensinve than say a 222?

I believe $149 vs $119 for a 222. Plus another $5.98/month dvr fee and $6/month instead of $5 for an additional receiver fee.

Absolutely. You can get the 222 free as a new customer and you'll have to pay up to $499 for the 622.

I would also strongly suggest you give a local retailer first shot at your business. You will get quicker and better service.

I would also strongly suggest you give a local retailer first shot at your business. You will get quicker and better service.

I'll second that. It's worth noting that this forum is supported by users and local retailers -NOT- E*.

But as I said, -IF- your budget allows for the cost, a second DVR(622) can be a real convenience because you can watch recorded shows on either flat panel. And now that it has been replaced by the 722 you just might find someone willing to give you a good deal on a used one.

And being as how this would be used along with a new 722 and that you can copy and move programs between the two there isn't as much downside risk as there is in having your main/only receiver a used 622. And if you buy one there is no leased receiver fee.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts