About to jump from DTV to Dish - questions

Just setup a 30 or 60 day overlap when you switch. Watch all the old recordings while you fill up the new Hopper and maybe even an EHD or 2. That will provide an opportunity to switch back and forth on the same TV and the same show , to compare quality .
Why do you say only 5 more tuners.

Just setup a 30 or 60 day overlap when you switch. Watch all the old recordings while you fill up the new Hopper and maybe even an EHD or 2. That will provide an opportunity to switch back and forth on the same TV and the same show , to compare quality .
Why do you say only 5 more tuners.
His Genie has 5 tuners + he has 3 HR24's, each of which has 2 tuners (total of 6) = 11 tuners total on Directv. Switching to Hopper 3 with 16 tuners = 5 more tuners.

Multisport add-on
Fox Soccer package
I will mention to you that when it comes to Sports Direct TV is better than Dish.
I don't know what the Fox Soccer package is but if you mean Fox Soccer Plus it will not be available in High Def on Dish.
I don't know if that sorta thing is important to you. However I can access it in HD via the FOX Sports GO app and chromecast so there is that.
Just my two cents.

Similar situation here as OP. I currently have an HR44 (5 tuners) and 3 HR24s (6 tuners in all), have Select package and 4 HD TVs. Genie (HR44) got software update to new UI this week and no longer "talks" to older DVRs. Had a tech at the house today, he told me there's nothing that can be done because AT&T wants me to upgrade to newer equipment (which means another 2 year contract) even though everything worked fine 3 days ago before software "upgrade." I've been looking at Dish's website, looks like the Hopper 3 would work with 3 Joeys but unsure as to the comparable programming package. Input welcome!

Oh, I forgot...in addition I'd lose 4 tuners because I would only be able to have a new genie and satellite receivers. Current monthly charges are $111.00

And how many shows can you record? HR44 has a limit of 100 the HR24s have a limit of 50 each

When I switched from DirecTV to Dish, I got the AT120. The only lost 1 channel I cared about: BBC America, and, to be honest, I didn't watch it enough to really care. The DirecTV client boxes are excruciatingly slow to use compared to an HR24 by the way. The Dish Joey is a big improvement. Make sure they give you the Joey 3.0. Best of luck.

Reactions: Tampa8 and pattykay
Hopper 3 has a limit of 199 timers. (or something close to that)

By the way, I love your avatar. :thumbup :cool:
Oh, thanks; I'm so fed up with them! When I called in the other day rather than being interested in fixing my D* issue they were trying to sell me AT&T stuff and sign me up for emails and texts. And 199 is perfect way more than we need which right now is about 90.

Reactions: pattykay
Make sure they give you the Joey 3.0
What? When the installer comes out just ask them? Won't they wonder how I know about them? LOL D* always sent 3rd-party people; I wonder if Dish will come themselves or send a 3rd-party installer? And do the Joeys have RF remotes? Two of the roomies rooms are across from each other and the living room genie and my bedroom are connected so we all had to have RF remotes otherwise we were changing others channels and such.

What? When the installer comes out just ask them? Won't they wonder how I know about them? LOL D* always sent 3rd-party people; I wonder if Dish will come themselves or send a 3rd-party installer? And do the Joeys have RF remotes? Two of the roomies rooms are across from each other and the living room genie and my bedroom are connected so we all had to have RF remotes otherwise we were changing others channels and such.

Yep. Ask the installer when he/she calls to confirm appointment. They may wonder, but who cares. Get the best you can.

Yes, Joeys have RF remotes.

Reactions: pattykay
The Hopper 3 has really great features but it's not very reliable. Timers don't always record new episodes. Netflex often freezes the system which then requires several reboots to get it working again. Reporting issues to Dish take a long time to resolve and they won't give updates on any progress. For example, the timer problems have been a known issue for almost a year but just yesterday on this forum someone said they called Dish about skipped recordings and were told they were the only one having this issue. Bluetooth functionality used to drop out requiring daily reboots but that finally got fixed after many months.

I use Dish Anywhere on my Android Tablet every morning to watch news in the kitchen where I don't have a Joey while reading the paper and having my coffee. I have not had any problems with the app.

I had DirecTV a couple of years ago and here in Florida we get frequent heavy rains. DTV HD signal would drop out at the first sign of winds. Dish signal stayed on during the last hurricane. I'm sure signal strength is location specific.

I dropped DTV because of terrible customer service. Dish isn't any better. The Hopper 3 is the best DVR when it's working right. I'm thinking about trying the Comcast X1 but their small hard drive is a big concern.

Reactions: dare2be
The Hopper 3 has really great features but it's not very reliable. Timers don't always record new episodes. Netflex often freezes the system which then requires several reboots to get it working again. Reporting issues to Dish take a long time to resolve and they won't give updates on any progress. For example, the timer problems have been a known issue for almost a year but just yesterday on this forum someone said they called Dish about skipped recordings and were told they were the only one having this issue. Bluetooth functionality used to drop out requiring daily reboots but that finally got fixed after many months.

I use Dish Anywhere on my Android Tablet every morning to watch news in the kitchen where I don't have a Joey while reading the paper and having my coffee. I have not had any problems with the app.

I had DirecTV a couple of years ago and here in Florida we get frequent heavy rains. DTV HD signal would drop out at the first sign of winds. Dish signal stayed on during the last hurricane. I'm sure signal strength is location specific.

I dropped DTV because of terrible customer service. Dish isn't any better. The Hopper 3 is the best DVR when it's working right. I'm thinking about trying the Comcast X1 but their small hard drive is a big concern.

If you're considering Comcast and customer service is a concern, those two ideas do not seem compatible. Although doing so might improve your feelings about DirecTV and Dish customer service. Have you considered Tivo on Comcast?

I have similar problems with my Genie; been dealing with them for about a year. When I call in CSRs feign innocence and tell me there's no issue, then they do a truck roll and tech tells me they're aware and even their own boxes don't work properly.
Only have ever had D* signal issues with severe Summer monsoon storms; never understood people who say a cloud floats by and they lose signal. I lost far more signal with my previous Dish 500.
Almost nobody has decent customer service nowadays.

Hopper remotes pair with a unique ID for the receiver they're paired to. While you can pair more than 1 remote to each receiver, remotes for separate receivers will not interfere with each other

Reactions: DJ Lon and pattykay
WHen you place your order, make sure you tell the sales rep you want Joey 3's. It'll be on the work order that way, although it's no big deal to modify it by the tech. I do it all the time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts