About to order Direct TV need advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

smwag2000

Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
Hey Everyone:

I have a Samsung 1080i 40" TV with a Time Warner provided HD DVR and 3 other standard def TVs in the house. I'm sick of Time Warner cable and I am going to order Direct TV. Have some questions:

1. If I order HD thru Direct TV, are all the the HD channels 1080. I found that with Time Warner, almost all the HD channels are 720

2. How is the Direct TV HD DVR? I have had a bunch of problems with the Scientific Atlanta box I got with Time Warner and have to re-boot constantly.

3. Should I order on line or thru the phone?

4. Can I tell the installer I do not want him to hookup to my phone land line? I don't use PPV and I don't want a hookup to my phone line.

5. Anything to watch out or make sure I have done during the installation? Are these guys ok, or do I need to follow them to make sure they don't do a hack job.

Any other tips you thing are appropriate are appreciated. Thanks.

-Steve

I'm also about to get it (probably either today or tomorrow). Since I don't have it, I can't answer all your questions, but I can answer one. Definitely order over the phone. Their deals are much better than online (at least for me).

They are native. The channels that are broadcast in 720p are broadcast over satellite in 720p, the 1080i channels are broadcast in 1080i. It just depends on the provider, D* does not modify resolution of any channels.

Other questions:

HD-DVR is certainly better than TWC's. It isn't as good as Dish's, but I'll take that thanks to the superior picture quality.

I'd go phone, but I've never heard anything bad about the online ordering.

Not sure how the phone line thing goes... I have phone lines near all my TVs so it wasn't an issue.

I always check in from time to time when someone is working in installing something in my house... I don't want to stand over their shoulder, but I do want them to know I'm watching. As in any business, there are good and bad guys. Just make sure they ground the dish and put it in a sturdy spot, outside of that I'd say most installs are the same...

You don't need the phone line connected if you don't want it. I'd order over the phone, also, if given a choice. You may be able to get a freebie or two out of the deal (free HD DVR, free NFL Sunday Ticket, etc). Also, as mentioned, the channels are broadcast in their native formats. Be sure to post a review of your DirecTV experience after you've had it for a few weeks!

You can set the output of the DVR to 1080i only, it will upgrade any channel that is at 720p and speed up changing channels.
For sure talk to someone on the phone.

You can set the output of the DVR to 1080i only, it will upgrade any channel that is at 720p and speed up changing channels.
For sure talk to someone on the phone.

Yea but on some faster moving images that are Nativity in 720p you will get a "jitter"

Yea but on some faster moving images that are Nativity in 720p you will get a "jitter"
That's the theory, but given that the 1080i channels typically win the battles for PQ, the technology isn't as important as the care that goes into producing the signal.

That and the fact that there are precious few displays that are native 720p. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts