About to switch to D* from E*, but have some doubts. Convince me!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Could you make sure that you post copies in all of your replies? :no
YES!!!!
For some reason they don't have any bigger text.:D

for those who care here's a pic inside of the vip 622

attachment.php

here's one of the HR series

H23-600_inside.jpg

i agree with you guys. the vip series for dish is great but i'm happy with my HR21-100. still have to give major props to the vip series ;)
Your agreeing with me shows the depth of your understanding on the subject. :up ;)
Knowing what I know now if channels were equal on both (which their not, and looks like we are getting one more this week) I would switch just for The 101 and the VOD.

Stay with E*

I subscribe to both. I have been a E* customer for about 10 years. However they recently had a dispute with GolTV and dropped it. I am a huge Soccer fan and GolTV has exclusive rights to Spanish and German soccer. I decided I would switch to D*.

First and foremost the HR-22 is a serious POS compared with the VIP 722. Here is my take on the HR22

I cannot change the channel order in the guide.

The changing of favorites lists is not very intuitive.

It is harder to schedule and prioritize recordings.

The fast forward and reverse is not as smooth and advanced (300x forward) as the 722.

I do not care for the mobile recording options because I have a Slingbox that I can connect with my mobile phone and record and watch that way.

There is no Theme option to be able to sort by category. For example in E* I would just want to know all the sports on right now and upcoming so I would just click the Theme button and choose sports.

I am very disappointed but am stuck with D* now because of the contract.

On the programming side I was very disappointed that Fox Soccer Channel was only available on the extra $12.99 sports pak where E* is included in most packages.

Sunday Ticket at $280! WTF! I remember it being a little over $100 when it first was available.

I will be going back to E* as soon as they get GolTV back.

The only plus I have experienced with D* is that the standard SD boxes and tiny and easier to travel with in my RV and the fact that D* has most of its programming out of the one bird (101) make it more convenient using my Vuqube.

There is no Theme option to be able to sort by category. For example in E* I would just want to know all the sports on right now and upcoming so I would just click the Theme button and choose sports.

You can do that with D* also. Just press guide twice and it brings it up for you

Well if you need another reason from the ones listed above, It is April 2 and still no new HD that Charlie promised. Made the jump three months ago and couldn't be happier. Enjoy your install and welcome to D*, they rock

Lol, should we link to the ViP problem threads?:p
I've never had a problems as bad as what I read and seen with D*.:eek:
Let me know when E* starts sell D* DVRs. Then and only then D* may have a DVR that does the basic functions. :eek::p

The changing of favorites lists is not very intuitive.
Simply press they yellow buttom
It is harder to schedule and prioritize recordings.
I don't know which one is easier, but I do not have difficulty with it. In fact it is easier than it is on my TiVO
The fast forward and reverse is not as smooth and advanced (300x forward) as the 722.
You can change it from slip to skip
I do not care for the mobile recording options because I have a Slingbox that I can connect with my mobile phone and record and watch that way.
This is not a negative, this is just a preference. In fact it is a benefit to most Direct subs
Sure there is. Press the guide button twice. Or you can set it up so it goes to the category option first.
I am very disappointed but am stuck with D* now because of the contract.
Your disappointed, at least from what you listed is simply due to your unfamiliarity with the receiver??? Most people choose providers based on packages and price, not equipment.
On the programming side I was very disappointed that Fox Soccer Channel was only available on the extra $12.99 sports pak where E* is included in most packages.
Again a preference thing. Most subs don't care for Soccer. Most Americans don't care or soccer. Direct does have more sports channels in lower packages than Dish (the channels that more subs watch).
Sunday Ticket at $280! WTF! I remember it being a little over $100 when it first was available.
Now Direct is worse because they offer a package OPTION that Dish does not and it went up in price??? Isn't it better to at least have this option?
I will be going back to E* as soon as they get GolTV back.
From you points you made, you are going back because you are unfamiliar with the receiver, they offer ST for $300 (and that was a bad thing somehow), and one soccer channel?

How does that convince him to stay with Direct?
The only plus I have experienced with D* is that the standard SD boxes and tiny and easier to travel with in my RV and the fact that D* has most of its programming out of the one bird (101) make it more convenient using my Vuqube.
So the ST and EI option, the more HD channels, the greater variety of sports programming, sports channels (except the soccer one) in lower packages, ex are not a plus?

Let me know when E* starts sell D* DVRs. Then and only then D* may have a DVR that does the basic functions. :eek::p
It all comes down to programming. You can have have the nicest china place setting but if all that is served is chicken nuggets it can't be that satisfying. I would prefer a paper plate with steak and lobster. :hungry:

I watched UFC Fight Night and The Ultimate Fighter in HD last night, LOST, and recorded South Park in HD. With DISH it would have been 1 out of 3. :(

And I have never had a problem out of my HR-20s as bad as I have read or seen in the ViP problem forums. Actually, the only problems I have had were D* system wide, twice. Other than that, my HRs have been rock solid. :up

To be honest, my Dish DVR has been good too, but it an older model

Just making a post so we can add an extra page. Takes too long to scroll through the posts with the large images... :p

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts