AC3 Decoding cheaply

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rdel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 26, 2005
Hi Guys
I was looking for a way to decode the PBS channels (cheaply)
I came across a headphone unit there selling on ebay, so I ordered one and it works great. It comes with a optical and RCA inputs and will run off its battery or the wall plug that comes with it. It even comes with a optical and rca cord so you don't have to buy one.
Its called a sonic zoom headphones
It has two head phone outputs so you can use the phones for private listening.
and connect the other to the tv or dvd recorder.
The headphones sound great (there are three speakers in each ear cup).
I hooked mine to my optical output on my classic NA and the ac3 feed through on the fortec sends ac3 and regular audio both out the output to my dvd recorder for recording. all I had to buy was a 1/8 plug to dual rca connector (to connect the unit to my dvdr)
I like listening to the retro jams with the phones, not ac3 but still pretty good.
I payed $8 plus $5 for shipping.:D

Just thought I would pass this on.
rdel

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=sonic+voom+headphones

cool

Thanks for the quick review and head's up.
Should get lots of users testing 'em.

Of course, of the three listings I just found, the price has gone up.
Don't worry - they'll have a short selling life then be back to cheap at Computer Geeks in 3..6 months. :)

The Wal-Mart product is not available in stores.

I checked one of our local stores this morning, and the web site states it is available on-line only. :(

It is still a good find and a good price.

Thanks!!

Nice find, I have been using an extigy for decoding ac-3 in the front room, and was looking for a different (and cheaper) way to decode ac-3 in my bedroom. Now I know how to do it on the cheap :-D

Looking foward to trying them. I ordered mine from Amazon.com tonight.

Overall, what will decode the ac3 audio?
Is there anything from Radio Shack that will work?
What about the A/V units?
The headphones sound great and I might get that, but I want to hook a stereo system to my Pansat 2700a. I am not very familiar with the ac3 audio part.
I read about the extigy that drhydro mentioned, and have thought about it. I just need to know what all would decode the ac3.

Overall, what will decode the ac3 audio?
Is there anything from Radio Shack that will work?
What about the A/V units?
The headphones sound great and I might get that, but I want to hook a stereo system to my Pansat 2700a. I am not very familiar with the ac3 audio part.
I read about the extigy that drhydro mentioned, and have thought about it. I just need to know what all would decode the ac3.

The zoom unit can be hooked to a stereo, either using a 1/8 plug to dual rca or it has a 5.1 channel output (round plug with nine holes and a flat top)
Or you can buy a stereo with 5.1 digital dolby built in. About $130 at best buy.
rdel

Way to go!:up Been trying to get AC3 audio without investing in a new amp. Thanks, ordered mine yesterday...

Picked one up today at FRY's Electronics , works good , sound quality is average but for $20 I can't complain.

I hooked up a mini headphone plug Y-adapter to RCA jacks and YES I can confirm that you can hook this up to any mini stereo that has AUX inputs and get sound without using the headphones, which is nice because I'd rather listen to the AC-3 via Stereo than headphones , even if I'm losing 5.1 .

Cyberhome Sonic Voom includes , rechargeable battery, ac plug , coaxial and optical cables, really worth the price .

If you record tv (like me) be sure to hook it between the dvd recorder and fta unit, you can hook the second output to a stereo or tv. just thought Iwould pass that on.
rdel

If you record tv (like me) be sure to hook it between the dvd recorder and fta unit, you can hook the second output to a stereo or tv. just thought Iwould pass that on.
rdel
Thats Exactly what I did, 1st output headphones, 2nd output to my mini CD stereo with AUX inputs.

Excellent Idea , it crossed my mind , just picked up a Panasonic DVD Recorder for $119.00 at FRY's yesterday too.

Ok , heres a question. The Cyberhome Sonic Voom unit has an 5.1 output that resembles S-Video ,What is it ? is this a special cable connection for what ?, I have not read instructions yet , so my answer might be there.

Rdel I know you briefly spoke about the output , just wondering if it can be put to good use.

I have my Coolsat 5000 hooked up via Coaxial to AC-3 , any difference with optical cable or is it about the same ?

S-Video jack is a form of "DIN" jack. There are a variety of DIN jacks with a variety of pin configurations, different ones are used for different purposes.

Optical Digital cables and Coax Digital cables are comparable, especially for anyone who is not an audiophile with $10,000 speakers.

The advantage of Coax digital cable is that a standard 75-ohm composite video cable works fine, and people usually have those lying around or can pick up decent quality ones for a few dollars, while you have to do a bit of searching to find good cheap optical cables.

Last edited:
Also, strangely enough, the coax cable can be run farther than the optical cables. I assume this is because the material they make the optical cables from is of low optic quality.

If that headphone company can manufacture $20 AC3 Decoding headphones, why couldn't/wouldn't the FTA manufacturers add that $2 or $3 circuitry right into their FTA boxes? It sure would be nice to see all of those PBS channels without an additional piece of hardware. Is it a Dolby licensing issue? Maybe this headphone manufacturer is flying under the radar and not paying Dolby their royalties?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)