AC3 Decoding cheaply

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm back again. I've narrowed my search for a receiver down to three that pass through AC3 audio, the Pansat 3500, the Coolsat 6000 and the Fortec Star Mercury II. I haven't confirmed that the Merc II will actually receive TV Japan, so if anyone has a Merc II and could check, I would appreciate it. Most of all, though, if anyone could recommend the best choice of these three for me, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

If you have a C-band dish (BUD) or a dish large enough for C-band (at least 6', I would suggest 8'), the MercuryII will receive the C-band signals, where TV Japan is found.

Al

Last edited:
I can't tell you anything about the Pansat or the Merc, but I do have about 6 months experience with the Coolsat 6000. I regularly view PBS with AC-3 audio through a 5.1 surround sound system with no problems at all. Also, while experimenting with C-Band I have seen a Japanese station but can't give any details. I was quite amazed when the newscaster, before starting to read the news, bowed very deeply to the audience. I thought he was going to take a nap first. This, I assume, is Japanese custom.

The upside of the Coolsat is that it works consistently and well, seems to have lots of memory and has a fairly intuitive menu system. Mostly it is a reliable dish mover and rock solid reliable once tuned and the channel selected.
The downside of my Coolsat is that the universal remote is not good. It can be a frustrating experience changing channel. Also Coolsat does not update its software regularly, the Fortec I understand is much better at this. Occasionally my Coolsat will freeze during a blind scan which is inconvenient, always on the same satellites, but only a few. Mostly blind scans work fine. And, as posted elsewhere, I have yet to figure out what they mean by a favourite. Picture breaks up at about 63% signal quality.

YMMV.

Well, I still having problems. I bought a Fortec Star Mercury II receiver based on the sale's reps assurance that it will pass though AC3 audio. I set it up and conected the Toshlink optical cable to the Sonic Voom AC3 decoder. Video for TV Japan and BBC's AC3 broadcast comes through fine, but still no sound. Ironically, audio for the non-AC3 broadcasts transfers though the Sonic Voom AC3 decoder without a problem. I'm wondering if the Merc II really does pass though AC3 audio . Nothing on the box or the manual talks about AC3. Or, do I need a different decoder? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

While on the TV Japan and BBC, press the AUDIO button on the remote and make sure that AC3 is selected as the audio source.

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the help. Now that I have sound, my next project is to find some speakers with a connector that fits in the sonic voom AC3 decoder. The male plug that came with my headphones looks like a hand with the index finger pointing out like a gun. Does anyone know where I can find some speakers with connectors like this or a connector that will work anyway?

I went to Radio Shack and bought a standard mini headphone to RCA adapter - you don't need the "hand" type plug for standard stereo speakers. If you want surround sound then I can't help.
Bob

Being as the Sonic passes both ac-3 as well as stereo I just hooked it up to the RCA "input audio red & white" plugs on the tv.
Bob

I realise this is an old thread, my apoligies.
I have a coolsat 6000, i am wondering about other ac3 decoding options. I tried to search walmart on ac3 decoding but i drew a blank, i also tried searching ebay for sonic voom, but also drew a blank. best buy seemed to be a dead end also.

all that was 3 years ago, is there some new component now? i could use some practical suggestions
Thanks
Kodaz

The headphone set is about the only thing around affordable. You can get them for less than $20 from Amazon. The best way is to cut the headphones off and solder a RCA cable to the end of the wires. If you try using a mini to RCA cable bypassing the headphone cable you will have low level audio. Good enough for some people. Here is a thread explaining it in detail.

Jim

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air...re-colors.html

Also a link to Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Cyberhome-CH-S...2162283&sr=8-1

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)