AC3 Decoding cheaply

Status
Please reply by conversation.
FWIW I've noticed the Cyberhome AC3 decoder audio levels output at the jacks are a lot lower than standard AV audio. Measured with my scope, the peak to peak voltage levels averaged about 300 mV with volume all the way up. My Fortec receiver measures about 1000 mV (1 volt) by comparison. The level is fine for listening with the included headphones, but will need amplification if I plan to record on my DVR.

I noticed that to, I just turn the volume on the TV up a little more when I play what I recorded on my dvd recorder.

there is a volume button on the top of the unit and unforunatly that resets when ever you turn off the unit so the first thing I have to do is raise the volume when I turn it on (which I usually forget to do). I have the Fortec classic as well and have noticed that the audio is much lower on that unit as well but I can get enough volume that its not as bad.

Has anyone figured out how to use the headphones with a different device???:confused:

I Wish, they look like nice headphones. If anyone finds an adapter please let us know:up :)

No go with Traxis 2550

No go here, got a Traxis 3500 and getting nothing. Wonder if anyone else has tried them with a Traxis 3500?
Still no problem , I'll find some use for them.

I'm new to satellite stuff, but through a friend, I learned that I could get TV Japan with a large satellite dish, I think you guys call them BUDs. My neighbor was throwing one away so I asked him for it and got set up with a Traxis 2550 receiver. We had TV Japan for a couple of weeks until TV Japan changed satellites to the Galaxy 13/Horizons 1 satellite. Now I can get TV Japan, but no sound. I was hoping the Sonic Voom decoder would work for me, but it didn't. I'm wondering if my problem is with the Traxis receiver or something else. Do you have any ideas?

Traxis has a software bug that will not pass AC-3. They keep promising to fix it - I haven't heard of a fix. :(
Bob

Welcome to the group dlday

i don't think the traxis 2550 has AC3 output , does it.
i know the traxis 3500 does have it but i think it still has a problem outputting ac-3

so if you have access to another receiver that can do ac-3 or output ac-3 try that.

my coolsat 5000 receives it fine
hope this helps

Thanks for the responses. I don't know whether the Traxis 2550 has AC3 output, but now I suppose it doesn't. I noticed that the cable that came with the Sonic Voom head phones had orange connectors and the Traxis 2550 does not have an orange port. My DVD player has an orange port, so I tried the head phones on the DVD player and got great sound.

I don't have access to another receiver, but would gladly purchase one if I knew it would work. I hate to impose, but is there anyone who could check to see if they can receive TV Japan and if so recommend suitable equipment? TV Japan is broadcast from the Galaxy 13 Satellite/Horizons 1 satallite at 3800 V frequency, and I believe the symbol rate is 1660.

Also, would I need a new TV, because my TV does no have an orange port either?

Thanks again for all the help.

You won't need a new TV. Get a headphone plug -> RCA jack adapter at Radio Shack. Hook up red & white (from RS adapter) to TV and you are set to go. I setup my system this way - works great on KU PBS stations.
Bob

i can verify that it is on galaxy 13 / horizons 1 broadcasting only in AC-3 audio which my Coolsat 5000 is passing to the sonic voom set and i have a small set of desktop computer speakers plugged into the headphone jack playing the audio

it has good picture quality and sound here in arkansas with a 7 1/2 ft dish 97% signal level 94% signal quality. most of the receivers on the market pass AC-3

my coolsat 5000 outputs ac-3 fine and for me is the easiest to use of all my receivers.
my traxis 3500 has ac-3 output but is waiting a software update cause it doesn't output it.
my satpros 500 doesn't output ac-3

i suspect the mainstream receivers also output ac-3 (although i don't have them)
merc II
pansat 3500
there is a review section and i'm sure a few receivers are listed there that output ac-3. Main thing is to ask questions if you have them and try to pick a receiver that several others have (so its easy to find help) so if you find a XYZ brand that says it outputs AC-3 but no one here has it ..... its hard to offer help.

Good luck

Thank you very much. Now I know it's possible. I'll look for a receiver that outputs AC3 audio. I hope you don't mind if I keep asking questions.

Does anyone out there have a Pansat 3500 who can confirm that it can receive TV Japan broadcasting from the Galaxy 13/Horizons 1 at 3800 V frequency, and I believe symbol rate 1660? Also, does your Pansat 3500 decode the AC3 audio without a separate decoder? Thanks.

Yes!

I can confirm with my Pansat 3500 that TV Japan is on G13/Hor 1 at 3800 V with a Symbol Rate of 27690.

The audio is AC3 which is passed through by my Pansat and decoded by my Sony Surround Sound System.

You can thank Gabshere for alerting me with a PM for this request. I quit reading this thread about 20 posts ago.

Fred

Thanks Gabsphere and Linuxman. So, if I get the Pansat 3500, will I still need a AC3 decoder?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)