AC3 Decoding cheaply

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It IS a licensing issue. In the cutthroat pricing environment of MPEG-2 receivers, most manufacturers cannot justify even five or ten dollars more on components
to add an AC-3 circuit. Since there are already stereo receivers on the market
that can be purchased off the shelf, which accomplish the processing of Dolby Digital, it was an easy solution for the FTA receiver makers to add a jack that
passes the necessary digital stream to such a device. It avoids the expense
of both needing a Dolby license or having to pay for a hardware solution.

Yep, it is a licensing issue and it costs a few dollars more than what the mfg is willing to put into a receiver across the board. Specially when most users may not use that feature.

From what I've read in this thread, I've been convinced to get a set of those headphones too. I keep seeing the silent PBS channels up there, and I am really not that good at reading lips.

Got my Sonic Zoom headphones today. They work great. I couldn't get the optical cable to go into the decoder and was afraid to force it, but it plugged into my Coolsat 5000 easily. I'll work on that problem later. I used the coax cable that was provided just to check out the headphones to see if they worked, but I probably won't use them much. I'll be making a direct connection to my TV. PBS stations work great. Thanks rdel

Got my Sonic Zoom headphones today. They work great. I couldn't get the optical cable to go into the decoder and was afraid to force it, but it plugged into my Coolsat 5000 easily. I'll work on that problem later. I used the coax cable that was provided just to check out the headphones to see if they worked, but I probably won't use them much. I'll be making a direct connection to my TV. PBS stations work great. Thanks rdel
Your welcome:)

Make sure you pull the plugs off the ends of the optic cables before you hook them up. I had a neighbor try to hook one up with the plugs on and it wouldn't fit. (he was going from a dvd player to a stereo)
rdel

If you get a chance to catch a documentaries on the lost underwater city on pbs, use the earphones. The six speaker ac3 phones will blow your mind:D especially the underwater scenes:up
rdel

No go here, got a Traxis 3500 and getting nothing. Wonder if anyone else has tried them with a Traxis 3500?
Still no problem , I'll find some use for them.

I don't know that much about the traxis line but I was wondering if there's an on and off for the ac3 output in the menu area. The fortec na has one.
rdel

Traxis 3500 AC3

I remember that.. and I even remember who said it.
See comments ... in this thread.
No clue if the status is current, but if it'd changed, you would think we'd hear.

I think I read in a post on this site that it will pass AC3 for the C-band, but not for ku-band. Or maybe I dreamed this?

Last edited:
I finally ordered a Extigy external soundcard at Ebay tonight!
Thanks to all you guys who mentioned about this soundcard in the threads.
After much research on this item I decided to go to Ebay and find one. I got this for $52 plus shipping.

Got my sonic voom headphones today. Works great with my Fortec Clasic NA. Thanks:clap
Bob

These are on sale today 3/14 for $9.99 just ordered mine
I just went to order a set, and see that they also offer you some "add on specials". One of those specials is the exact same surround sound set for only $15.99! yipppe! what a deal :cool:

Is anyone having problems with decoding ac3 with the voom setup?
So far I've only found complaints with the traxis units.
Fortec classic na OK:up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)