Access card question.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mcsj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 25, 2004
First of all, I am not trying to hack a card or receiver or anything illegal.

I have an extra receiver with surround sound. I want to give it to my friend, who just got a new system from best buy (just the very basic receivers of course)... But best buy guys told him that he must use those basic receivers to activate or he will be charged $150 per receiver.

My question is, is the receiver who "marry" the card, or it's the satellite signal? Can he change the receiver like, 1/2 hour after activation, by pulling out the card from one of the receivers and plug it into my extra receiver?

Thanks!

mcsj said:
First of all, I am not trying to hack a card or receiver or anything illegal.

I have an extra receiver with surround sound. I want to give it to my friend, who just got a new system from best buy (just the very basic receivers of course)... But best buy guys told him that he must use those basic receivers to activate or he will be charged $150 per receiver.

My question is, is the receiver who "marry" the card, or it's the satellite signal? Can he change the receiver like, 1/2 hour after activation, by pulling out the card from one of the receivers and plug it into my extra receiver?

Thanks!
Directv marries the card to the receiver you can't just swap the card from one receiver to another.

He should be able to use your receiver, and activate it with the Best Buy cards. As long as the card itself is activated, he will fulfill the contractual agreement with Best Buy.

Best Buy (or any DTV retailer) does not get paid unless the card associated with the receiver is activated. After that, you should be able to change cards and notify DTV of the switch.

As long as the card itself is activated, it doesn't matter what receiver it is in. Take the upgraded receiver, and give DirecTV the old receiver serial number and the new access card number. All there is to it.

Once you activate a card in a receiver, it is locked to that receiver and cannot be changed. Just activate the new card in the other receiver.

lostcause said:
Once you activate a card in a receiver, it is locked to that receiver and cannot be changed. Just activate the new card in the other receiver.

I was told different than that on dbsforums. It makes sense to me, I mean, if you activate a used receiver, you have to ask DirecTV for a new card...which means you have to change the card. I'm not going to claim that I'm an expert at access cards, but it makes sense to me.

~Alan

From what i know at one time you could swap cards between receivers, however now I understand that the cards are married to the receiver.

The card is married to the receiver it is activated with. DirecTV pays us for the activation of the card. Nothing else. The only way you can take an active card from one receiver and marry to another, is if you are having problems with a receiver. That is the only time DirecTV will change the receiver a card is married to. Also, account name that card is activated under cannot be changed. If you sell a receiver, on ebay, for instance, the new customer must purchase another card to activate.

al said:
The card is married to the receiver it is activated with. DirecTV pays us for the activation of the card. Nothing else. The only way you can take an active card from one receiver and marry to another, is if you are having problems with a receiver. That is the only time DirecTV will change the receiver a card is married to. Also, account name that card is activated under cannot be changed. If you sell a receiver, on ebay, for instance, the new customer must purchase another card to activate.

Could you (as I was told) take a new card that you get as a new subscriber and activate it with a used deactivated receiver?!

~Alan

Alan Gordon said:
Could you (as I was told) take a new card that you get as a new subscriber and activate it with a used deactivated receiver?!

~Alan

Yes, that is exactly what you would do. If you activate the card with the receiver it came with, then changed to a used receiver, you will then need a new card for that receiver. That is why I am saying at the time of activation of the card, you tie it to the receiver you want.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)