Access Card

Status
Please reply by conversation.

geocole

Original poster
Jul 2, 2004
I have 3 receivers and all work. I got a used STB SAT520. Can I use the card from one of my old receivers for the SAT520? Or do I need to buy a new one?
Thanks

I called Pegasus about the access card AND they did switch the card from my old receiver to my new used STB

Not sure about E* but with regards to D* and Pegasus it is no problem to "replace" an old receiver with a new one AND keep the existing access card.

A local dealer told me that if I picked up a receiver and card when I got new DTV service ( I am not a prior customer), once activated I could swap that out and put it in my HD box which is DTV compatible but does not have a card (I bought it open box). Is that not the case? Are the cards married to only one box?

I have been told that the cards are married to the account. I don't know if this is the case or not.

Married to the account is fine; I just want to know if I can just change receivers by moving the card from the old to new receiver?

card

I am with Pegasus(trying to switch over to D*) and I got a used STB for OTA and D*. I called Pegasus and got the card switched over to the used STB. I had to give account number,old receiver number, new receiver number and access card number. BUT they will switch it over.

I know with directv the access cards are married to the receivers...you can not take the card out of one receiver and use it in another...it will read wrong access card. Each receiver has a specific number that gets logged onto the access card....not the account.

vinnyvo7
I wonder why Pegasua can switch or change the access card to another unit and D* can not??

vinnyvo7 is correct in saying that the access card is married to the receiver ... until you replace the receiver.

When doing a receiver swap, yank the card out of the old receiver, place it into the new receiver and then call DirecTV. Tell them you want to swap receivers and retain the access card. They should perform this action without any hesitation - unless - you have a very very old access card number.

geocole said:
vinnyvo7
I wonder why Pegasua can switch or change the access card to another unit and D* can not??
Different Sat compaines have different technology that they use.
"vinnyvo7 is correct in saying that the access card is married to the receiver ... until you replace the receiver.

When doing a receiver swap, yank the card out of the old receiver, place it into the new receiver and then call DirecTV. Tell them you want to swap receivers and retain the access card. They should perform this action without any hesitation - unless - you have a very very old access card number."
This is true...but with all the replacing of access cards lately ...Directv has been swapping out the cards as soon as you call. Now they are replacing the P4 cards with newer P5's.

Then if the receiver is married to the access card it can--- get a divorce??
my card must be so old it don't have a number on it.
Now for the stupid question, what is the difference between the p4 and p5 cards.
Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)