Accidentally order PPV?

Yespage

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Ohio
Well, I found a method of accidentally ordering PPV... I believe. I was clicking away at my remote and wanted to change to my OTA channels. I've set up my 722k universal remote to do just about everything I want. Well, I clicked a button, whoops, still on SAT. Go to TV, big red button... there we go. So I'm watching the Browns / Steelers games and when all was over, I switch back to the Dish Network input and bam! The channel is on the Science channel... with a screen asking whether I want to buy a PPV movie, I forget the title. I believe I was one or two "Select" press away from buying the movie.

Why was I on the Science channel and still had a PPV window? Well, I think what happened was I pressed a 2 for a channel on Dish by accident. This took me to the VOD screen. I had a timer to record the Wormhole program on Science Channel. So it popped over there but didn't lose the PPV window.

So clearly, it seems to be quite possible, however somewhat difficult, to accidentally order a PPV without even knowing it, by a few errant clicks if using your remote as a Universal Remote.

lock receiver to require a PIN to buy anything.

this prevents a neighbor using his remote set to your remote address from buying stuff on your box....

Happened to us as well, except I hit the guide button to look up a channel. The next month the charge was there for $40. for something I didn't order. They did credit us though.

Jeff

i almost had it happen this morning!! I was watching a recorded program and when it was over I hit 'stop' to stop the playback. Turns out I had actually hit '1' next thing I know I have the dialog box up that is waiting for ONE more press of the select button to okay ordering a movie. And it wouldn't cancel out either. i ended up using channel up to get out of it.

Locking out is a good idea. I just figured I'd let people know of my near accidental PPV purchase experience, so that it could be in the wild and people could tell whether they did similar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts