According to 'Sports by Brooks', Urban Meyer is new....

I'm not sure if it would have helped or not, but maybe they should have proactively banned themselves from bowl play this year since it was pretty much a lost season anyway. Maybe the NCAA would have accepted that instead of next year's ban...

I don't know if that was an option.
I think the NCAA would have still banned them for 2012.

I think the ban actually came about when the players suspension were increased, which is another reason why they SHOULD NOT Have been banned...

They already ruined 1 players season pushing his ban to 10 games.

Anyway, back to OSU...has Urban commented at all about the results?

Sandra

Before accepting the Ohio State job, Meyer said he researched how severe OSU's penalties would be and was confident they wouldn't be too stiff.

Now Meyer has to tell recruits the Buckeyes won't be playing in the Big Ten championship game or a bowl game next year.

"It is still my goal to hire excellent coaches, recruit great student-athletes who want to be a part of this program and to win on and off the field," Meyer said in a statement. "The NCAA penalties will serve as a reminder that the college experience does not include the behavior that led to these penalties."
NCAA sends message with sanctions against Ohio State Buckeyes - ESPN

From SI.com, here are the details:

The NCAA has cited Ohio State with failure to monitor, preferential treatment and extra benefit violations in its football program. Jim Tressel has received a show-cause. Here are the penalties:

• One-year bowl ban for the 2012 postseason.
• Reduction of football scholarships from 85 to 82 over each of the next three seasons. Total scholarship reduction of nine.
• Three years of probation from Dec. 20, 2011, through Dec. 19, 2014.
• Five-year show cause order for Tressel, making it tough for him to coach in college during this period.
• Vacation of all wins for the 2010 football regular season, including the Big Ten co-championship and participation in the Sugar Bowl.
• Forfeiture of $338,811 the university received through the Big Ten for appearing in the Sugar Bowl.
• Disassociation with a booster for 10 years.
• Disassociation with a former player, believed to be Terrelle Pryor, for five years.

Ohio State sanctions could set precedent for future NCAA rulings - Stewart Mandel - SI.com

It's so funny...the only time in my whole life I paid attention to recruting was when Terrell Pryor was announcing his college choice. Seemed like a win at the time, but apparently I should go back to blissful ignorance of that side of the sport!

Sandra

From SI.com, here are the details:

The NCAA has cited Ohio State with failure to monitor, preferential treatment and extra benefit violations in its football program. Jim Tressel has received a show-cause. Here are the penalties:

• One-year bowl ban for the 2012 postseason.
• Reduction of football scholarships from 85 to 82 over each of the next three seasons. Total scholarship reduction of nine.
• Three years of probation from Dec. 20, 2011, through Dec. 19, 2014.
• Five-year show cause order for Tressel, making it tough for him to coach in college during this period.
• Vacation of all wins for the 2010 football regular season, including the Big Ten co-championship and participation in the Sugar Bowl.
• Forfeiture of $338,811 the university received through the Big Ten for appearing in the Sugar Bowl.
• Disassociation with a booster for 10 years.
• Disassociation with a former player, believed to be Terrelle Pryor, for five years.

Ohio State sanctions could set precedent for future NCAA rulings - Stewart Mandel - SI.com

This was all posted earlier, but it's nice to have just the highlights posted.

It's so funny...the only time in my whole life I paid attention to recruting was when Terrell Pryor was announcing his college choice. Seemed like a win at the time, but apparently I should go back to blissful ignorance of that side of the sport!

Sandra

Bucks have several very highly regarded recruits so far, compliments of Urban.

Fwiw, they said he couldn't recruit at Florida, so I hope he does better up here, he won't have to take ALL Florida guys here.

I seem to recall Florida doing VERY well when Urban was there. :)

SandraC said:
OSU also wasn't in Gainesville when we won the National Championship under Tressel. :)

Sandra

Neither was Urban.:) but he was in Gainesville when......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts