Account deletion by moderator requested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cinnabun93

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
United States
Hi! I haven't used my account in two years and am going through and deleting things I don't use. It would be very much appreciated.

On behalf of the NSA: FAT CHANCE! We have your data anyway!

;)
:oldwink

Actually, for legal reasons many sites won't/can't delete. Maybe under the "Patriot" act and other laws, it's not allowed anymore. Deactivate an account, sure. Delete all history of posts? Less likely.

By coincidence I had a request for this at my forum today too. We can ban people or lock out accounts but not delete them. Main reason: it messes things up. No idea what the Satelliteguys policy is. Probably a very rare thing for someone to request outright deletion.

Why not stick around? We have several interest areas.

The policy is... if you don't want to use it then don't use it. :) If you want to lock yourself out, then change your password to something else and forget that password. :D

But we hope you stick around, you never know when you will need us. :D

Reactions: T134 and dfergie
We can ban people or lock out accounts but not delete them. Main reason: it messes things up.
I can see how it could present issues if you outright deleted the user and all traces of their presence. What could be done is leave the 'text' of their posts but wipe out the user-related info (to the left). The username could be "Deleted User" and all of the fields blank.

And then, you can always retrieve that password from the government - no need to write the NSA, just muse out loud that you wonder what it was, and a kindly, helpful monitor will provide it to you. :devilish

I gotta ask - what TV source do you use? Dish, DirecTV, cable, OTA, OTT.......?

I wonder why "kindly" came out "kinky" first time around.

I can see how it could present issues if you outright deleted the user and all traces of their presence. What could be done is leave the 'text' of their posts but wipe out the user-related info (to the left). The username could be "Deleted User" and all of the fields blank.

This still causes issues as quotes in posts and some other items in the database will still refer to the original name. Tried something like this before and right away saw messed up confused threads.

Xenforo must be able to handle it because there are add-ons to enable it, including allowing ALL traces of the person (posts included).

Doesn't matter though. It's Scott's policy not to plus, what is the harm to the OP? He mentioned cleaning up and it sounds like cleaning his computer. Website membership does nothing on the user's computer other than a cookie.

I remember when I asked for a different account to be deleted, I ended up with an account ban :facepalm which isn't the same as deleting! So the lesson here is be careful what you wish for.

Last edited by a moderator:
I edited the above post to remove a name. Let's keep personalities out please.

the OP has too much time on his hands...
upload_2014-12-25_14-20-59.jpeg

Reactions: Mr Tony
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts