Activate without install?

chestertime

Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Does anyone know if Dish will activate an account with requiring installation? I just moved into a new apartment that is already wired for Dish so it would seem all I need is a box and an account.

Yes, if you BUY the equipment, you can avoid an install.

If you want to LEASE the equipment, it must be installed.

If I buy the equipment online (eBay or something), I can call up Dish and tell them the serial # or something? They won't be upset that their boxes are being resold?

And how much would I be saving per month by not leasing?

Last edited:
People resell the boxes all the time. There will probably be no difference in price though for the install if you are a new customer since they always throw in free install, and the lease for the first box is in the price.

The big advantage of your own box is that you do not have any contract/commitment. The big disadvantage is you are out the $$ for the box.

You can buy the equipment through Dishstore to avoid an installation.

However any promotion with Free equipment will require installation, and if your apartment is already wired then do that and have the installer set it up and activate it.

So all I have to do is buy a box online and then call up Dish? They'll turn on the service within a couple hours of that?

So all I have to do is buy a box online and then call up Dish? They'll turn on the service within a couple hours of that?

If you do buy from ebay or an individual, make sure you 1st get the serial number and call dish to see if there are any charges against it. Sometimes boxes are sold with a balance due and you will have to pay the balance before you can activate the box.

You can buy the equipment through Dishstore to avoid an installation.

That's strange. When I went through American Digital Dish I didn't need to have them come. They mailed all my boxes and a Dish500 with a Dishpro Quad.. I installed everything.

None of the Dish installers are tower certified and aren't invited on my property. :)

That's strange. When I went through American Digital Dish I didn't need to have them come. They mailed all my boxes and a Dish500 with a Dishpro Quad.. I installed everything.

None of the Dish installers are tower certified and aren't invited on my property. :)

That was probably several years ago when we where not installing several hundred dollars worth of equipment.

You would still need a tech to come out and hook up your cable in the cable junction, just cause your building has a dish it dont mean your pluged up in to the service. It's just like comcast, just cause the cable is there it dont mean you get service.

Unfortunately the installers here are more the type that they'd just want to excavate the property and put a pole in instead.. :)

I'm glad I don't really have to worry about it anymore since Dish will send me upgrades all day long and never once come here.

When I did DIU, the CEO's office didn't have me on file as having a 61.5 dish. I told them I already had one installed and ready to go (I installed it a day before I called to upgrade). They had to override my account and add that i had 61.5, but then they mailed everything to me and life was good.

Does anyone know if Dish will activate an account with requiring installation? I just moved into a new apartment that is already wired for Dish so it would seem all I need is a box and an account.
You would still need a tech to come out and hook up your cable in the cable junction, just cause your building has a dish it dont mean your pluged up in to the service. It's just like comcast, just cause the cable is there it dont mean you get service.
It's a good possibility that the apartment owners/managers have contracted with a company to provide satellite service to their residents in an effort to not have a bunch of dishes all over. Therefore, you may have to deal with that company to use THEIR equipment, or on their next service call, install, etc, they may be disconnecting you when they see an unauthorized connection.

Other possible issues:
- Is it Dish or DirecTV equipment?
- Does it support standard residential equipment, or QAM receivers?

It's a good possibility that the apartment owners/managers have contracted with a company to provide satellite service to their residents in an effort to not have a bunch of dishes all over. Therefore, you may have to deal with that company to use THEIR equipment, or on their next service call, install, etc, they may be disconnecting you when they see an unauthorized connection.

Other possible issues:
- Is it Dish or DirecTV equipment?
- Does it support standard residential equipment, or QAM receivers?

There are dishes all over. The apartment company doesn't seem to care (though they might want to start). And the equipment is Dish. It's all hooked up for residential with the latest dish. I'm subletting and this stuff was put in by an installer at the end of the summer.

Dish install with Antenna

DISH HD DVR and AT&T Questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)