Activating new account w/ used gear

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
I have the opportunity of getting a used Dish DVR at a fair price and I have a few questions:
1- Will Dish charge an activating fee.
2- Are most English HD channels still on E110? --> IE- I'd aim the 39"u dish to 110w and leave it (Universal Circullar LNB), buying a dish sat is not in the plans atm.
3- Is there any promo I can get or stuck paying the full price?
4- Someone mentioned there is a 99$ HD for life fee, true?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Cheers, K

What receiver? There are many which Dish will not activate anymore. Is there a balance due? If there is, you will have to pay before Dish will activate it. Is it leased equipment? If it is, Dish will not activate it and will want the equipment sent back to them. Do you live in Canada? Dish will not active an account in Canada. Just some things to be aware of before you buy this equipment.

To answer your questions. If you buy your own equipment, yes Dish charges an activation fee. If you lease from Dish, there is no fee.
Dish HD for WA is on both 110 and 129, EA is on 72, you will need more than one sat location to get all the HD channels.
Promo would mean you need to set up lease program, promos not offered to someone buying equipment.
HD add on package is $10 per month, if you sign up for HD for Life you can either pay a one time $99 or sign up for paperless and auto deduct and get it for free.

1. no. They will set you up on a "prepaid" account which means you pay for the month then get going. You would get a bill that is due the day before your new month starts. So as example when I set up an account through the DIRT group I paid for AUg 13th to Sept 12th. About 2 weeks later I got a bill due Sept 11 for Sept 13-Oct 12th. If I didnt pay they shut me off
2. no 129 does but on the eastern arc its mainly 72W
3. if you activate it as such there are no promos....also no contract
4. unless you do auto pay and a 2 year agreement you can either do $99 one time fee or just pay the $10 monthly HD fee

also you need a US address ;)

Generally, that is a very poor idea. You will have to pay to have someone install it, you are getting used equipment with no warranty. You won't save any money per month and miss the new customer discounts.

considering the OP has a C-Band and KU Band dish I'm sure he's not worried about installing it himself ;)

Also he's a few miles north of say Plattsburgh NY so I dont think a "pro" install would work

Get the R & S numbers from the receiver.. before you buy.. and have a DIRT member check to be sure it's clear and not blacklisted. Seller should have no issue providing with this info, if he does, don't purchase it.
Update your address to your American address
As Iceberg mentioned... if you're only using 1 lnb, 72 would be your best bet for the most channels.
Research "The List" to see what's where....

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)