Actual Difference Between 722 & 722k?

Blackloz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
Minot,ND
Is there someone who can explain the actual difference between these two? Ive done alittle research and im still alittle confused. The 722K has more ota tuners correct? The remote(s) also look different.

The K version has a bay for an optional module that contains two OTA tuners. The non-K has a single built in OTA tuner.

Is there someone who can explain the actual difference between these two? Ive done alittle research and im still alittle confused. The 722K has more ota tuners correct? The remote(s) also look different.
A couple differences I have noticed over the past week are as follows:

1) No USB port on the back for an Ext. Hard Drive

2) 722k allows you to back up timers and stuff to the remote (though I will know for sure when new 722k arrives)

3) Possible software bug causing TV2 to lock up if TV1 is turned off and hooked up via HDMI and running in Dual Mode.

Geoff

What? :confused: Of course there is.
Not on the 722k. Just one on the front (behind the door). Even checked again to make sure I am not nuts.

Not having it is more of an inconvenience than a problem (we have a 2 year old in the house that likes to mess with stuff, so we have to make sure that the doors are closed when he is around). With it on the back, we could leave it plugged in.

Geoff

Well, then why is mine plugged in the back and working?
Why is it pictured on page 21 of the owners manual?
When do you have your next optometrist appointment?;)
BTW, it's directly below the Ethernet port.

Well, then why is mine plugged in the back and working?
Why is it pictured on page 21 of the owners manual?
When do you have your next optometrist appointment?;)
BTW, it's directly below the Ethernet port.
So it is. I feel corrected.

I looked (after the Installer had hooked everything up, so I didn't notice anything below the Ethernet Port (some big black cable is in the way). LOL

Geoff

722k is totally different chips and software. It is actually more like the new 922, but with the feel of traditional DVRs. A very good DVR!

In fact the insides of the 722k and 922 are almost the same. In fact out of the box new the 922 looks and acts like a 722k until it downloads the 922 software. ;)

The 722k OTA tuners are likely of a newer generation (at the additional cost) than what is in the 722, which would be an advantage if you are in a "still" OTA DTV challenged area (i.e., now that the transition has occurred and most stations are now at full power and using their planned end use equipment). I found the 722 tuner to be as good or better than what is in the 211 or 222, so if one of those work well for you, the 722 will work as well or better.

What about storage capacity? Doesn't the 722k have a larger HDD?

What about storage capacity? Doesn't the 722k have a larger HDD?

Same size HDD. Also, I have heard that if you get your 722 replaced under wtty w/a 722k, they will send you an ant module for free, if you ask. Maybe someone else can confirm that.

Brad

One of the nicer things that I like about the 772k are the 21.0 remotes that work with it. Now it usually comes with a 20.0 IR remote and a 21.0 IR/UHF remote, but you can use the 21.0 with TV1 and more importantly, you can set it up for UHF control from TV1 without any additional equipment. Just a change in the settings with the System Wizard.

Makes it easy to hide the box in a cabinet.

Regardless of the OTA and recording 4 things at once (which is worth the price), the 722k is also good for:

1) Timer backup to remote
2) newest hardware and newest broadcom chip

Honestly I love Dish Net equipment. I am currently a D* sub & Bell TV sub and Bell uses echostar equipment, I have a 9242 which is the same as a Vip 622. The only reason I didn`t go with Dish Net is that I can`t get DMA`s out of them at all, but I have them with D*. If that ever changes I just might switch. I think I would be happy with either a 722 or a 722K

Hmmmm. Not sure it's an unalloyed good that the K has a different chipset. I was hoping that the same code base could be used across the board with the ViP series, with certain features just not enabled on certain machines (single/dual, non-DVR etc). Hopefully, that will remain the case. Ever more sets of unique code is just money down the drain.

Of course, it would seem a bit of a stretch to expect the same code base to apply to the ViP922, with all the differences, esp the UI (which I doubt will migrate to the other ViP machines).

I'm not sure why Dish made a 722k with a new internal layout, as opposed to just keeping the 722 and going into the 922. It is good to always have the latest Broadcom chiop though.

Im sure its a pain for Dish since the 722k's software is different than the other ViP rcvrs, and is just made to look similar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts