Actual Difference Between 722 & 722k?

The 722k OTA tuners are likely of a newer generation (at the additional cost) than what is in the 722, which would be an advantage if you are in a "still" OTA DTV challenged area (i.e., now that the transition has occurred and most stations are now at full power and using their planned end use equipment). I found the 722 tuner to be as good or better than what is in the 211 or 222, so if one of those work well for you, the 722 will work as well or better.

What about storage capacity? Doesn't the 722k have a larger HDD?

While the 722K may have the newer technology........I thought that some were complaining that the tuner was weaker than the 722. Is this true or not?

Also, the 722K and the 222K produce a noticeably brighter, sharper, more vivid picture than the pre-"K" series, overall a superior PQ. I can actually tell from the PQ which box I am watching. When I switch to my 722, the EPG is noticeably blurry by comparison as just one example.

The Dish "K" series and my Tivo Series 3 have the best PQ, then the pre-"K" series is 2nd best. A few others on this board have also reported the "K" series superior PQ, as well. Of course, if you don't have them hooked-up to compare, you will be quite pleased and satisfied with the Pre-"K" ViP boxes.

It is interesting that Scott reports that the "K" boxes and the 922 a nearly identical inside. Perhaps that explains the noticeable superior PQ of the "K" series.

That's an interesting observation SubLA. And you can tell it because you have them both hooked up at the same time! I have my 622 hooked to the 63" Samsung Plaszma and the 722k to the 42" only because of not moving receivers and having to spend the time to manually swap all the timers (we used to watching certain shows in the family room, some in the bedroom). No way to move timers so you have to make a list of them and manually add/delete. I can move the shows using an EHD but not the timer.

This will give me the reason to play this weekend to swap the gear and start my migration process. I'll report back what I see on the 63" as I've gotten pretty used to the PQ using a 622 on the 63".

I've not noticed better PQ, but the menu's do appear to be more sharp. I have to wonder if that isnt the difference in the SW.

This better PQ for the "K" has been from day one, and I've had the "K's" pretty close to day one of availability. It may be more with the chip or other hardware inside the box.

That's an interesting observation SubLA. And you can tell it because you have them both hooked up at the same time! I have my 622 hooked to the 63" Samsung Plaszma and the 722k to the 42" only because of not moving receivers and having to spend the time to manually swap all the timers (we used to watching certain shows in the family room, some in the bedroom). No way to move timers so you have to make a list of them and manually add/delete. I can move the shows using an EHD but not the timer.

This will give me the reason to play this weekend to swap the gear and start my migration process. I'll report back what I see on the 63" as I've gotten pretty used to the PQ using a 622 on the 63".

Yes, both connected to the same TV (in living room one set, in office another set). But I want to be clear that sometimes I forget which box I am watching. At that moment, as a test to myself, I try to guess which I am watching (some times both boxes are powered on) and in a few seconds I can tell the sharper more visible wrinkles on Dan Rather let me know I am on the "K". Also, the generally more aesthetic PQ of "crispness" to the PQ is noticeable as everything seems to pop out at you from the screen, the way really great HD is supposed to. So, I can tell just by looking at the picture.

Can O worms

In fact the insides of the 722k and 922 are almost the same. In fact out of the box new the 922 looks and acts like a 722k until it downloads the 922 software. ;)

You know you just opened up a can o worms don't you. Now that we know they are just about the same machine then all of us are gonna want them upgraded after the 922 comes out full tilt. :rolleyes::D:up

You know you just opened up a can o worms don't you. Now that we know they are just about the same machine then all of us are gonna want them upgraded after the 922 comes out full tilt. :rolleyes::D:up

I am pretty sure there are some additional chips/newer chips (any BOARD changes/subboards?) in the 922. We know for example it has additional communication capability, ie wireless and newer Homeplug capablity. Larger hard disk. Perhaps more RAM memory. Does it use the same CPU, a new one, or have an additional one for sling? I don't suppose any of you with one are ready to post pictures of the insides.

My 722K wakes up my Seagate EHD just fine, which the 622 never could do. I can't say that I notice a change in the PQ. I love the 4 tuners. SS is the same as it was on the 622. Only downside, I can't find a code for the remote that will turn off my Yamaha receiver. That wan't a problem with the 622's remote.

I $u$pect $omething will $low u$ down. ;)

Can the 6 series remotes (6.2 etc.) be used on the 722k ?

Frankly, I dislike the button response on the 21.0 and would prefer to continue to use my existing remotes...

I've not noticed better PQ, but the menu's do appear to be more sharp. I have to wonder if that isnt the difference in the SW.

I'm pretty sure that is what the "K" users are seeing. I have a 722 HDMI'd to a brand new 52" Sony K5100 and the Dish HD locals are almost indistinguishable from the OTA locals via the Sony's, latest generation, on-board tuner. SW and wishful thinking I think.

I'm pretty sure that is what the "K" users are seeing. I have a 722 HDMI'd to a brand new 52" Sony K5100 and the Dish HD locals are almost indistinguishable from the OTA locals via the Sony's, latest generation, on-board tuner. SW and wishful thinking I think.

Make sure the HDTV setup is correct for your TV. I see a huge difference between HD and SD feed.

PQ is NO different IMO.

I understand that not everyone can appreciate the difference, as is the case with many things: food, CD music recorded at analog, analog, digital as opposed to an all digital recording at every step of the process--both properly recorded. I've had people tell me they can't hear the difference. Everyone is different. But I have to say, the difference in PQ between "K" and pre-"K" ViP's is noticeable--to me with my brand of HDTV's. Again, others on this board have also noted the PQ difference, so it isn't just me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)