actual hr20 price

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jetwrench

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
I got a surprise when I got my first dtv bill after activating my new hr20 and thought others may like a tip.I bought it as an xmas present. Before xmas the dtv web site had a waiting list but I found one in stock at my local circuit city. After xmas I installed it and a new at9 dish and activated with no problems.The first bill I got listed the hr20 as a leased receiver.When I called to complain that I bought it myself I was informed that the $299 I bought it for was the lease price, the actual price to purchase it is around $700. Now, I realize leasing has some pro's but I laid down $300 thinking I was purchasing the dvr not giving them $300 for the right to rent it.Nowhere in circuit city was this stated nor did the salesman inform me of this when I got it. I was given the polite I'm sorry sir that you feel hoodwinked and I'll note it in your file story but I can't do any more. I've been a dtv customer for a long time now,nearly since day one so I may push for more satisifaction but thought others may want to know what they are gtting for the $300.

I got a surprise when I got my first dtv bill after activating my new hr20 and thought others may like a tip.I bought it as an xmas present. Before xmas the dtv web site had a waiting list but I found one in stock at my local circuit city. After xmas I installed it and a new at9 dish and activated with no problems.The first bill I got listed the hr20 as a leased receiver.When I called to complain that I bought it myself I was informed that the $299 I bought it for was the lease price, the actual price to purchase it is around $700. Now, I realize leasing has some pro's but I laid down $300 thinking I was purchasing the dvr not giving them $300 for the right to rent it.Nowhere in circuit city was this stated nor did the salesman inform me of this when I got it. I was given the polite I'm sorry sir that you feel hoodwinked and I'll note it in your file story but I can't do any more. I've been a dtv customer for a long time now,nearly since day one so I may push for more satisifaction but thought others may want to know what they are gtting for the $300.

I purchased all 3 of mine at costco for $269.99 + local tax and I own them 100%.

Best thing about it, was that there was no 2-3 month waiting on their OOS list.

I purchased all 3 of mine at costco for $269.99 + local tax and I own them 100%.

Best thing about it, was that there was no 2-3 month waiting on their OOS list.

What makes you think that you own them? The paperwork that comes with the purchase clearly states that it is a lease. You did read it, didn't you?

I don't think you can BUY any of the D* recievers , they are all lease items even though you paid BB or CC for them.
Thats part of the reason I got mine from D* instead of CC. If I got it from D* they installed the AT-9 for me FREE, I would have done it myself, but I would have had to pay $100 for the AT-9, and I would have had to order it online, BB and CC don't handle them.

Jimbo

I totally agree going thru bb or cc is not a good idea. I know from past experience. I was told by direct tv that i could purchase a hr20 for $700 or lease one for $300. After some pursuasion I got hr20 plus the new dish with install for $99 and got to keep the h10-250. going thru direct is always better.

I realize this is beating a dead horse, but this whole system is a rip off. We get charged a lot just so we can LEASE a box, then we pay the lease fee, THEN our boxes need the protection plan. On top of that there is a two year committment!!! If I could get FoxNews over the web I would tell them that they could have the whole darn thing right now.

Your leased box does not need the protection plan. If you have problems with you leased box it will be replaced for free.

Your leased box does not need the protection plan. If you have problems with you leased box it will be replaced for free.

But the rest of what scotsmanron said, I agree with.
i think it's rediculous to pay for a lease and a lease fee on top of that......

Jimbo

But, if something else goes wrong with your DTV and you have to have a tech come out, you will be paying probably a minimum of $70 for the service call. The protection plan is an insurance policy. If you never have to use it, it is an expense, but if you have to use it, you'd be glad you have it.

I realize this is beating a dead horse, but this whole system is a rip off. We get charged a lot just so we can LEASE a box, then we pay the lease fee, THEN our boxes need the protection plan. On top of that there is a two year committment!!! If I could get FoxNews over the web I would tell them that they could have the whole darn thing right now.

Bet you didn't realize that this system was taken from DISH Network.
D* never use to lease anything, but then people wanted to lease them so they would not have to put out the big bucks to purchase them.

Jimbo

Back to the protection plan. Yes, a leased box will be replaced for just a shipping charge with no plan, but D* will insist on sending out someone to check your system and make sure the problem really is the box. For that, they'll charge you $70.

I know some folks can talk them out of the troubleshooting visit from the "professional" but it is an issue.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts