Status
Please reply by conversation.

Chewie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
California
Hello Gents
I have a quick question and maybe a domb question, I been reading some threads regarding Actuator Arm binding, well I have mine install with the WSI 6 foot dish and connected to GBox V3000 positioner, iI can move the dish side by side no problems, the inter tube of the actuator does not appear to have any scratches on it, but during the moving of the dish I can hear the shaft moving and the noise transfer to the dish, my question is, how can I tell if is binding?
any comments will be appreciated .
Thanks in advance.
Chewie:rolleyes:

When the numbers on the GBox go by slowly in spots, That's binding. When the internal lubrication on the screw and nut starts to dry up, binding. When the motor sounds laborious and moves slowly, well you get the idea.

Look at the rod end. Mine is installed on the same 6' WSI and the rod end of the ball screw was larger than the room between the bolt mounting for the main piece of angle steel that goes across the mount. The rod end would rub pretty tight against the bolt near the connection point. I probably could have added spacers to lower the rod end on the bolt to provide clearance but didn't have any spacers handy. I ended up grinding the outer portion of the rod end about .100" smaller. It has just enough clearance not to rub and no more noise or slowing of the acutator.

if you plan on motorizing a dish, you should apply grease during assembly to all pivots points/movement areas of the dish mount, and any bolts and nuts that are pivot points....this helps the dish move smoothly and puts less strain on the actuator....it also prevents these parts from rusting....you can get a big tub of grease at any automotive parts store for about 5 bucks....it is well worth the extra time and money....

Do you have a Von Weiss actuator? If so, check the motor housing. If you take the housing off the motor you may find that the permanent magnets have detached from the housing. If one or both have detached they will bind against the rotor.

I've had that problem with two different Von Weiss actuators and I used super glue to set them back into their proper positions. There was an outline of the magnet in the housing so I knew where to put them.

PICT0052.JPGPICT0053.JPGPICT0054.JPG
hello Gents
I thank you for your suggestions, here are some pictures of my setup.
Regards.
chewie

It's not Binding, it's just the nature of that Flimsy Dish. I had one and tried a few things to try and isolate the Actuator from the Dish to reduce the noise . Didn't get it to quiet down much.
Dish has been put in the garage..........R.I.P.

thank you Dougruss
Well, I will play with it, I do get some good signal Q with it, the noise doesn't bother me, so fat I hit my true south 116.8 satmex5 and 113.0 satmex6, I install my new lnbf C2 and get most of the channels for these sats and a few more.
Thanks again.
Regards.
Chewie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)