Actuator Cover Ideas

Captain Midnight

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
Greers Ferry, Arkansas
With weather getting icy here, I am trying to brainstorm ideas on things that can be used to protect the actuator shaft from the weather. The boots are expensive and will take awhile to arrive. None of my local auto parts stores had any accordion boots that could be used.

What actuator do you have and does it have a rubber water seal where the inner and outer tubes come together?

On my Von Weise movers I just keep them lubricated with WD40 or some other rust preventive spray on lube about twice a month. I run the actuator out about 18" then spray that inner shaft then run it back in. That coating of lube will help keep it from rusting until the next time you lube it.

I have a bellows on mine, but you have to clean and re-lube the inner moving part every year otherwise it can rust. I usually clean and re-lube the unit in the fall. In cooler weather frost can form on the inner pipe and cause it to jam when operating/retracting, the bellows prevents this as long as the actuator is serviced regularly.
It's -35 out right now and the actuator works fine... I try not to move the dish much though at really low temps, it takes more power to move and likely more wear and tear especially on the motor and gears.

I have a bellows on mine, but you have to clean and re-lube the inner moving part every year otherwise it can rust. I usually clean and re-lube the unit in the fall. In cooler weather frost can form on the inner pipe and cause it to jam when operating/retracting, the bellows prevents this as long as the actuator is serviced regularly.
It's -35 out right now and the actuator works fine... I try not to move the dish much though at really low temps, it takes more power to move and likely more wear and tear especially on the motor and gears.
I have a C band system that is over 25 years old, about 20years ago I put a bellow cover on the actuator arm, and have never lubricated the motor. A number of times a year I spray silicon lubricant on the bellows to keep it soft and on all moving parts, WD 40 is a de greaser so I never use it, I have never had a problem with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts