Actuator Losing Count

Status
Please reply by conversation.

StarScan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 1, 2013
North Liberty, Indiana
I have a venture actuator on my new 12' dish. I have it connected to a Vbox 7 and an Amiko Nano HD. For some reason it keeps losing count. The actuator has a Super Sensor II. It does not have a the back cover anymore so I've been using a trash bag. Do I need a new sensor or a new actuator?

Describe "keeps losing count". Does the motor not return to a saved satellite position? Does it run past the saved satellite position and require stepping backwards? Does it land short of a saved position and require stepping forward?

What type of wiring? Shielded? Gauge? Length of the run?

I started with 87 which is my true south and worked my way to 121 with no problems. Then i went back to 99 and 111 just to make sure it was working right and it was. I finished the western arc with 139 and went back to 87, all was well. I accidentally skipped 97 so I added it. After I added 97 all went to heck. I tried 87 again and it was pointing a bit west (a few clicks short of 91)

1. So one satellite move came up short?

2. What happens when different satellites are selected?

3. Does it run past the saved satellite position and require stepping backwards?

4. Does it land short of a saved position and require stepping forward?

5. What type of wiring?

6. Shielding around the sensor wires? Or one bundle of wires?

7. Gauge of the motor wires?

8. Gauge of the sensor wires?

10. Length of the cable run?

All satellites came up short. It went too far past their saved position. I need to step backwards to get the one I selected. I am using Comscope C band ribbon wire, about 100'. The sensor and actuator power cables are together and shielded.

Something that I read on here was to ground the shield wire. That really helped mine. Only ground one side. My Asci has been spot on since doing this. Many thanks to Titanium or whoever posted about this.

Reactions: Titanium
Similar problem here. Had been using vbox6 to move dish for 5 yrs. After stormy weather this summer - vbox and 22khz switch wasnt working. I assumed lightning in the area. Bought a vbox7 off the bay - but counter wasnt constant. I wasnt using USAL, just counter and manually moved dish with number/position in my head.

Counter on vbox never returns to previous number count when antenna is pointed to previous satellite. I've been able guesstimate location and counter number. Something like 4-5 counts per °.

StarScan, you are stating two opposite observations:
1. "All satellites came up short"
2. "It went too far past their saved position"

Does it run past the saved satellite position and require stepping backwards? Example: If driving East, it travels past the satellite and you must press the West button to land on the selected satellite.

Does it land short of a saved position and require stepping forward? Example: If driving East, it stops short of the satellite and you must press the East button to land on the selected satellite.

FirstClass,

Need the same information...

1. Do you need to add counts to reach a satellite position?

2. Do you need to subtract counts to reach a satellite position?

3. What type of wiring?

4. Shielding around the sensor wires? Or one bundle of wires?

5. Gauge of the motor wires?

6. Gauge of the sensor wires?

7. Length of the cable run?

FirstClass,

Need the same information...

1. Do you need to add counts to reach a satellite position?
yes
2. Do you need to subtract counts to reach a satellite position?
no
3. What type of wiring?
copper - if thats what your asking
4. Shielding around the sensor wires? Or one bundle of wires?
bundle
5. Gauge of the motor wires?
dunno off the top of my head
6. Gauge of the sensor wires?
dunno
7. Length of the cable run?
250'
I assumed the vbox7 is a chinese-made POS, not made by same manufacturer of previous box.

Thanks for the replies. Dont rack your brain - I can live with the inconvenience.

Most DiSEqC controller positioning errors are not because of the controller. The count errors are usually related to the type/length of wire, grounding, or motor noise.

Why live with a problem when a simple fix could provide automatic and reliable positioning?

There's a BUNCH of ppl on here that use Vbox 7 controllers? I've got one connected to that "new to me" 10.5ft Raydx dish that I'm testing now and it repeats with no problems, even on a temporary ungrounded unshielded wiring setup? That Vbox I'm using is driving a Super Jack mover on that system.

StarScan,

Ground the drain wire on the actuator housing. Don't ground inside.

Still don't have answers from you of the important questions. Not sure why?

-----------

You are stating two opposite observations:
1. "All satellites came up short"
2. "It went too far past their saved position"

Does it run past the saved satellite position and require stepping backwards? Example: If driving East, it travels past the satellite and you must press the West button to land on the selected satellite.

Does it land short of a saved position and require stepping forward? Example: If driving East, it stops short of the satellite and you must press the East button to land on the selected satellite.

It could be the negative count messing up. On my dish when I first put it up I had issues with the counter, then I watched and found out it will go in the negative and then repeat after 99 on the negative when moving west, so for instance negative 150 would show up -50 on the counter, so say I had a sat stored at 05 on the counter, when it would move back 55 clicks east it would stop at 05 but really be 100 clicks off due to the repeating on the negatives. So I always make sure when I set my due south try to get it around 400 on the counter to avoid the counter problem.

I grounded the shield to the actuator housing and it was working great for a few days. The wire gauge for the power wire looks to be around 16 gauge and the counter wire looks to be around 24 gauge. They are together and shielded.

It was working fine for a few days after I grounded the shield. I shut off the Amiko before I went to bed and I turned it back on in the morning. I had it parked on 87 the night before. I tried moving it to 101 in the morning and I got the "ER2" message. I checked all my cabling and its fine. Next I checked the fuse in my VBOX7 and its also fine. I'm out ideas.

Think your sensor may have 'given up the ghost'. Time for a replacement. OR the magnet wheel isn't turning. Use a battery to power the motor to check either.

ER2 means it is not seeing pulses.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts