Actuator Too Noisy

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Vondertrenk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
Canada
I am moving my 6ft with a SuperPowerJack HARL-3618+, 18" actuator. No complains in terms of performance, it moves really well, however it is too noisy. So fay my neighbours haven't complained and I tried not to move the dish at night, except in winter when almost everyone closes the windows.

Any idea how to reduce that noise?

Mines so far away I couldn't hear it unless I wired a microphone out there. There's not much you can do, unless you want to wrap the motor end of it up with insulation or something like that. IF the motor part is what is making the noise. If the tubes making lots of racket, it may be binding or about to blow itself up. Check the install and see that the motor tube is able to travel in a straight line when extending/retracting.

I had the same issue with my 6' dish. The PMA24 actuator was real noisey and the dish amplified it. I ended up replacing that with a 10' mesh and a VonWeise actuator. Now, I can't hear it move when standing next to it. I was amazed at the difference. Quality vs Cheap?

The major reason these cheap actuators make so much noise, is that they have NO grease (or just a teeny-tiny little bit) in the gearcase. I've cracked them open and saw that first-hand. Once I saw how cheap they were, mine got swapped for a Venture. I can't take the chance of ruining my dish due to a junk actuator snapping off and letting it fall.

Thanks for al the good tips. I know this actuator is a cheap one, the price was about $69, I got it for $49 ( it was on sale). And you are right, it seems that the dish amplifies the noise, mine is a solid 6' Fortec. Since nobody has yet started a project like this, I will try to reduce the noise (FTA for me is a Hobby, like it was Ham radio before, I am not too much of a TV watcher) and I will post the results.

Guys:

if I can't reduce the noise, what actuator would be the best option at the best price? VonWeise, Venture. etc? Where can I buy it?

I know there are a few there with an excellent performance and with a noise less than 80 dBs but the cost is astronomical; TOO many "pesos".

Thanks for al the good tips. I know this actuator is a cheap one, the price was about $69, I got it for $49 ( it was on sale). And you are right, it seems that the dish amplifies the noise, mine is a solid 6' Fortec. Since nobody has yet started a project like this, I will try to reduce the noise (FTA for me is a Hobby, like it was Ham radio before, I am not too much of a TV watcher) and I will post the results.

Guys:

if I can't reduce the noise, what actuator would be the best option at the best price? VonWeise, Venture. etc? Where can I buy it?

I know there are a few there with an excellent performance and with a noise less than 80 dBs but the cost is astronomical; TOO many "pesos".

Look for a used dish (some can be had for 0 "pesos") in this thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/304781-more-Craigslist-dishes-for-your-perusal in your area ..... often they will come with an older Venture or Von-Wiese that can be re-built.

I have a Von Weiss 24" for my 10' solid, when I have required parts for it there was no problems. Also it is very quiet. Reason I needed parts (reed switch) was due to a nearby lightning strike. Have taken it apart and re-lubed it twice, once every 5 years is a good idea, especially in the severe climate up here. Late last fall I used some Lubriplate low temp marine lube (white), seems to stick well and remain consistant at lower temps (-30 etc). Here's a link to the one I have (or a newer version):
hxxp://estore.vonweise.com/vw7636vdcactuator-1.aspx

I am sure the venture is fine too.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)