Add an Amp?

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Just wondering if one could add an AMP to a system with a normal Denon rcvr and get any improvement in clarity?

I know folks using separates swear by the, but do I have to buy a pre/pro too?

Depends on the receiver on whether or not you can add an amp. Not all Denons have MC out. I tend to use and recommend using a dedicated preamplifier/processor with an amp. The built in power amps have a tendency to introduce noise in the path. A dedicated preamplifier/processor also tends to have better DACs.

S~

Gotcha. What's a good company to look at for the non audiophile guy, kinda a nice good/reliable brand that wont cost a fortune.

Outlaw amps are inexpensive and people tend to like them. I've never used one. I use a Lexicon amp in one set-up and a Parasound 5250 in the other. They just came out with a V.2, so you might find a dealer that will have some older 5250's or B Stocks on sale. I've also used the Rotel amps. They tend to be a little warmer whereas I find the Parasound to be cleaner. For the preamplifier, I really like the Marantz AV7005. I personally didn't care for the Onkyo/Integra preamps, and found a nice difference with the Marantz over the Integra. One way to go would be to start with an amp, if your receiver supports it, and then move to the preamp/processor later on. Of course, you're only going to get out of it what your speakers are able to do. Separates really do depend on good speakers.

S~

I need to see if these still work...Carver M-400t Amplifier | Carver Sound and Audio - Carver Amplifier and Carver Audio Product Specs and Information (have 2 and ran them bridged)think this when I used to watch the opening of Top Gun... :D
maxell.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)