Add another local channel dispute

ttomni6

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Maui
Started getting a crawl here in Hawaii that KITV can be taken away from DISH customers. The crawl says to call DISH or switch to Spectrum cable.

I looked up the owner of KITV and it says it’s owned by SJL Broadcasting.

• Sad
Reactions: Howard Simmons
Started getting a crawl here in Hawaii that KITV can be taken away from DISH customers. The crawl says to call DISH or switch to Spectrum cable.

I looked up the owner of KITV and it says it’s owned by SJL Broadcasting.
I looked up SJL Broadcasting and they've got stations in the upper peninsula and in the Caribbean and Hawaii. I'd say your in the same boat as the Apollo dispute. It's going to be awhile if they don't get it settled. Stations - Lilly Broadcasting

Also, don't fall for this "call dish and complain" or "switch providers" garbage. Install a suitable antenna instead if you can. That will "pay dividends" later.

Reactions: TheKrell
Also, don't fall for this "call dish and complain" or "switch providers" garbage. Install a suitable antenna instead if you can. That will "pay dividends" later.
Exactly. For the local station disputes - that works. In fact, I've spent several hours on the phone with DISH and finally got approved for a free OTA adapter and outside antenna installation.

Unfortunately, I was told that because I live on Maui, they couldn't set the deal up for me and I had to contact the local installer myself.

Ordinarily, that wouldn't be a problem. However, the DISH local providers are not always in synch with what's going on. The bulk of my time with the DISH loyalty reps (after dealing with front line CSR's) is that at first I was told that OTA would not help me get the Honolulu local stations here on Maui. I had to explain that, technically, they were correct but our OTA is not directly from Honolulu. We get re-transmitted signals from a tower on top of a mountain only 5 miles away. I gave them the websites that show OTA signal strengths for this area and the rep finally came back and said that "you get very good signals, in fact".

OK, so now dealing with the local installer for Maui - whose main office is in Alaska! After they checked up on things, they came back with the same, original excuse that OTA would not help with the Honolulu stations!

I give up. I ordered the OTA adapter from AirTV and am using the indoor antenna that I used in a prior dispute years ago when I had our VIP-722K. The indoor antenna picks up signal just fine but because of where it needs to be located, you have to move it around in order to lock on. A bit of a nuisance if you're trying to get set up for a recording session when not around.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts